What should I use to support a car port roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be moving house and I'll be building a "car port" and I'm not sure what I should be using to support the roof, the walls are already there so I'm just going to be putting a roof on an enclosed area basically, the dimensions are:

Length 5m20
Width 3m70

With an area this size what should I be using to support the roof Wood/metal?

I'm planning to use something similar to this for the actual roof, I've used it before on a smaller scale and it's quite lightweight:

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/buildi...ted-Roofing-Sheet-77-20-9272872?skuId=9282572

Thanks, Jack.

Sponsored Links
If the walls are already there why don't you use 16 or 25mm poly with self support glazing bars? Easy to fit and will look a million times better than that corrugated shyte.

It will cost you more money but you'll be glad you done it, looks a professional job to.

Hadn't thought of that, do they sell it in 5m+ lengths.

One of the longer walls can't really be built on or used for support.

Really want to build something that will last not the cheapest option I just put the corrugated stuff up as its the first thing that came to mind.

when you say poly, you mean that multi-wall polycarbonate? For a car-port, what are the advantages? - I am also thinking of building one, mine will be 2.5 x 6m, wall one side, legs the other.

Sponsored Links
Yeah the multi wall stuff, when you go self support it looks like a conservatory roof from inside and out. I think the longest self support bars are 4.5m.

Advantages? Well a tile can fall off the roof and literally bounce off the stuff, plus it looks great, disadvantages...price but then again I get it super cheap as we do 1 or 2 of these a month.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back