What size underfloor pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks. In our soon to be purchased 1965 built bungalow we are blessed by a 2 year old CH system, one with 15mm pipes everywhere, a real horror. As I intend to fit a floating chipboard floor on Celotex, to improve floor insulation as all of the floors are un-insulated concrete, I’m wondering about running pipes in the Celotex – but what size?

I’d like to run 22mm to a manifold and radiate outwards in a 2 pipe system to each radiator. Chasing the Celotex with a router seems easy but what size pipe to use. 10mm copper was the first choice but I’ve just seen what I think is 10mm underfloor heating pipe. It would be more corrosion resistant and easier to run but it has a much smaller bore, maybe the same as 8mm copper. Would this small bore still be OK with the existing pump (not sure of its details), and would the pipes block with in-system gung.

So 10mm copper, 10mm plastic or 8mm copper that is the question? Unless you can think of other questions I should be asking.

Sponsored Links
You have 15 mm pipes and you want to reduce them to 10mm or smaller.

I sugest you look at all the posts about microbore and read the difficulties many people have with them!

Tony

Currently 15mm pipes decend on the surface from the ceiling in each room they then run horiz to each radiator. I'm wanting to replace these pipes and run them in the Celotex insulation I'm going to fit in the floor. The Celotex will be 30mm thick so the thinner the pipe dia the greater insulation will exist below these new pipes.

Yes I'll search on microbore. Thanks

Barry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back