What size window pane can be sensibly installed by 1 man, and a 2 man team?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to spec fairly standard double glazed uPVC windows for my shed/summer house restoration. Access is only by foot across the garden and up some steps.
I'd like to do what I can on my own, with a builder friend paid to help where I can't

I looked up how much glass weighs but I don't really know what weight is manageable for one or two people. I can get glass lifters.

My window apertures are typically 1.2m square but most might end up as two panes. I do have an end aperture of 2.2x1.5m which I'd really love to make a feature of, even one single pane... Is that realistic without lifting equipment?

IMG_20220604_151204.jpg

Sponsored Links
Once you go over about a 1metre x 1 metre 4mm glass gets a bit wobbly from wind load, so your 1.2m x 1.2m double glazed units are best done in 6mm. That would make the unit 45kg, that’s not terribly heavy for one person, but I still think it’s a 2 person carry due to size and access around the house.

The 2.2 x 1.5 dg unit would be about 95kg, manag with 2 people, but it’s heavy and I would want to have some sort of temporary frame and lifting method to move it.

one word of warning: toughened glass is very difficult to break on the face, but if you knock the edge or worse a corner, it will explode.

My Son and I fitted a 2.0m x 1.2m panel easy enough, just need to be prepared with everything to hand and somewhere handy to stand it up ready to lift in.

Sponsored Links
Respectfully Notch7 I will disagree with the comment about 4mm glass being ' flimsy' at 1m x 1m , We handle and fit 4mm Float ( annealled ) and Tough glass much bigger than this all the time. For this location 4mm toughened glass in the frames 1.2m x 1,2 m would be absolutely fine, or why would sealed unit manufacturers even make units this size in 4mm. Normal windloading would not be an issue here ( we have a windload ' table ' to abide by ) , however if on a clifftop or an increbily exposed location then maybe 6mm would be more prudent. 6mm glass will work out much more costly than 4mm toughened!
The 2.2 x 1,5 would definetly have to be 6mm glass, no sealed unit manufacturer will make it in anything else, and yes 2 people could lift it , but if you are in anyway worried get more people or have plenty of thick wooden boards ( with no metal; or screws/nails in) stratigically placed so you can put it down safely to give yourslef a rest .. as Notch7 says , 6mm glass is heavy, especially over a distance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back