What sort of fitting is this? Bayonet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Daughter is fitting a new kitchen, or rather her long suffering husband is.
They've comne to take the existing hob out and come across this. We suspect it is a bayonet type but the gas putty points at another direction.

The chap who had the house previously was, and employed, every bodger known to man.

The gas is isolated by a valve, so assuming the silver fitting is spring loaded, once the putty is broken should it just pull back and llift off?

Cheers.

Attachments

• Gas hob.jpg
    Gas hob.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
Gas cookers (that you can drag out to clean behind) usually have a rubber gas hose with a bayonet fitting.

Gas hobs are fixed, and do not. It is not a DIY connection. You need a gasman.

Reactions: CBW
They're replacing the hob with a range cooker that will have a rubber hose with bayonet fitting. Just wondering if this is a bayonet that has been gummed up with paste. Definitely will be getting a Corgi reg guy in if any permanent joints need doing.

Sponsored Links
Fair enough. What do you reckon a plumber would charge to fit a bayonet fitting to existing pipe? They're based in Derbyshire.

Hobs have to be on a rigid connection, that will need to be disconnected by a Gas Safe Engineer.

Impossible to say what anyone would charge to provide a Bayonet Coupling without seeing the job. Also would depend on the outcome of the required tests on the rest of the Gas installation in the property.

It's not just fitting a hose, it will also be testing tye gas installation
With and without your new appliance.

The pipe may need altering so as the cooker goes fully back.

A stability bracket or a chain will need to be fitted.

If you have bought from Currys or somewhere that provides an installation service. Then I would cancel installation and get you own man in.

It's not just fitting a hose, it will also be testing tye gas installation
With and without your new appliance.

The pipe may need altering so as the cooker goes fully back.

A stability bracket or a chain will need to be fitted.

If you have bought from Currys or somewhere that provides an installation service. Then I would cancel installation and get you own man in.
Currys aren't going anywhere near it. Ringing a guy tomorrow to alter pipework, commission the new range cooker and associated testing.

Really? To carry out gas work?
You having a laugh or is this not Year 2024
FYI no one who claims to be CORGI REGISTERED can carry out gas work
well I always employ caveat emptor, and have sourced a reputable company locally.
Corgi? guess I'm just showing my age.
you'll be telling me they've moved on from 16th Edition elec regs next.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back