What the hell is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone tell me what this tree/weed thing is?

It spreads and grows like wildfire.

Here's a close up, the brown flowery things go purple at certain times of the year

DSC_0011.jpg

And a shot of this monster, It was only a quarter of this size two years ago. There is a couple of smaller ones that I cut back to the roots at the beginning of the year and its already taller than I am.

DSC_0013.jpg

Any ideas how I can poison the bugger / get rid of it / them for good?

Napalm seems like the best option but thats sure to bring objections from the authorities :)

Sponsored Links
It's Buddleia (Buddleia davidii), a prolific self-seeder, grows anywhere, a bugger to get rid of but good for butterflies. Cutting it back to ground level in Feb/March will keep it manageable, but if you want to get rid, try spraying fresh spring growth with Roundup (or other Glyphosate-based weedkiller). It may take one or two applications. Follow manufacturer's instructions.

HTH
Geometer

For some reason I cant see your photos ( I just see a square with an X ) , but from the description I suspect that it's a Triffid.

The triffid is a highly venomous plant species, the titular antagonist from John Wyndham's 1951 novel The Day of the Triffids.

Sponsored Links
I think Geometer gets the prize, it does seem to attract butterflies.

Thanks for the tip, I'd advise people to buy shares in Roundup :D

Is there any truth that copper nails will kill trees?

It seems to like growing in walls, and the cement skews of my roof :evil:

it will dig out very easily. copper nails are a load of old tosh!

it will dig out very easily.
Not necessarily - Easy enough when it's growing in soil, but the roots can go quite deep into walls or paving, and unless you get it all out it can regenerate from quite small fragments. It's not as bad as :evil: Japanese Knotweed :evil: though.

copper nails are a load of old tosh!
True :D

Note to ub7rm - cut off the seedheads now, or you'll find lots of little buddleia plants springing up from your paving etc. next year

Prune it & keep it. I cut mine back when it finishes flowering.
Not only does it look nice, it encourages butterflys/moths etc.

dig it up and plant it gutter and on your chimney to match the other squatters house in the street.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back