What the United Kingdom should have published yesterday but did not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://davidallengreen.com/2020/02...-should-have-published-yesterday-but-did-not/

At some point, it will become painfully obvious that yet more flag waving and bombast will not be enough.

(And anyone with a decent grasp of history will tell you that flag waving and bombast was certainly not enough in those supposedly glorious Elizabethan, Victorian and World War II times beloved of Brexiteers: drudgery and attention to detail always mattered.)

The two texts of the first working day of Brexit – the European Union detailed proposals and the Prime Minister’s Greenwich speech – are the first two moves for the next phase.

And one shows serious preparation for what happens next, and the other shows none at all.

Hard Brexit or Accept the EU terms. In either case we are not taking back control.

Sponsored Links
I'm pleased to see that there's someone else who wants to have GD closed down fully and permanently. Keep up the good work - you're doing a great job!

I'm just as pleased that your mind is as closed to facts as it is to reason.

My irony meter just exploded.

How about showing a little consideration and respect for all the others users of GD who are making a real effort to keep the forum going? Do you think you're not part of the problem? News flash...…….

Sponsored Links
So you have nothing to add constructively, seems about the level these days.

But you are part of the solution. How is that coming along?

Until you popped up with a non-story about someone who didn't do something they never said they would on a date they never committed to, it was coming along just fine. Take a look at the top posts on GD today. Then look a bit further down.

I agree - it's too much. Do we really need to have every single negative thing about brexit put up on here? There's tons of it! It's out there for others to read without it having to be put on here and create yet another thread.

Aslo - 'flag waving and bombast' etc is unnecessary. It's having a dig at those who voted out. Pointless dig too - brexit has happened, there is nothing you can do about it.

I'm just as pleased that your mind is as closed to facts as it is to reason.
This is so trying to lord it over someone. Why do that? Again, unnecessary.

My irony meter just exploded.

How about showing a little consideration and respect for all the others users of GD who are making a real effort to keep the forum going? Do you think you're not part of the problem? News flash...…….

please could you explain what you want.
are you saying you want nothing political in GD?

I think that would be rather hard to achieve, almost all current affair stories have roots in politics -like the electric car thread, it could be just about technology but ultimately the decisions are based on politics

Personally I don't mind a small bit of brexit, but the big stuff. Trawling though article after article to find anything negative to post up here is getting dull and I don't understand why you don't get that Notch. It's dominated this board for years, is it not time to have a bit of a break? We can all read about it on our own terms surely, discuss with friends and family...

please could you explain what you want.
are you saying you want nothing political in GD?

I think that would be rather hard to achieve, almost all current affair stories have roots in politics -like the electric car thread, it could be just about technology but ultimately the decisions are based on politics

What I want isn't particularly relevant. It's not my forum. As an observer I'd say what has failed is the endless Brexit threads some news, some non-news, some fake news on both sides that always end up in personal abuse. There's an inability on both sides of the argument to let it go and move on. This thread is a good example. It's not a news story. It's an opinion piece in a blog that is being used to foment further anger and argument. There is nothing in the piece that is debate-worthy that hasn't been re-hashed time and time and time again. It's clear the mods are sick of it. It's clear all but a small minority of vocal GD posters are sick of it. In my personal view, it's the intent of the poster that's the nub of the issue and it's clear that the intent of many many previous threads has been not to have an intelligent debate but to needle and provoke. It's also clear the mods are sick of it. All but a small minority of vocal GD posters are sick of it. Because it's trolling.

It's perfectly possible to have civilised discussions about subjects that do have their roots in politics. The electric car thread is a good example. But I think you know this already so your question is rather disingenuous.

There is the point that if no one replied the original post would quickly make its way down the page and disappear.

It seems now that censorship is being promoted rather than the original complaint about abuse.

How is it determined which subjects are interesting?

Mods - could you please in future remove all reference to and pictures of dogs? I find them offensive.

That's a fair point. Do you believe that no-one would have replied in kind to the OP?

I'm not in favour of censorship, other than the self-imposed variety. It appears to me that the future of GD is at a bit of a crossroads. It's very much up to the people who use GD whether it survives or not.

Personally I don't mind a small bit of brexit, but the big stuff. Trawling though article after article to find anything negative to post up here is getting dull and I don't understand why you don't get that Notch. It's dominated this board for years, is it not time to have a bit of a break? We can all read about it on our own terms surely, discuss with friends and family...
I do get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back