What to do to central heating to prevent burst pipes

James, take a picture of where your incoming water mains stopcock is and then send the picture to 5 local plumbers. Ask them to quote you to fit a 'surestop', even if you are out in the sticks, the plumbers would adjust the job cost to take this into account.

Andy

Sponsored Links
@JamesEB we appreciate your plight.

However, to prevent flood risk and prepare your system for winter absence requires a certain amount of physical ability, which I guess you're now aware of.

Is there not some organisation in your local community that provides assistance for those in need?I s there a local handyman that you can call upon?

My granddad lived in the sticks and had such a chap who did odd jobs for him.
Sadly no longer with us but, at his funeral, I met his handyman, who'd come to pay his respects.
He was as upset as I and said he'd become very fond of my granddad (who could be a stubborn git at times) and had lost a close friend.
I'll never forget that or him :)

James, take a picture of where your incoming water mains stopcock is and then send the picture to 5 local plumbers. Ask them to quote you to fit a 'surestop', even if you are out in the sticks, the plumbers would adjust the job cost to take this into account.

Andy

I can't use a camera or smartphone so I don't have them. I don't have any local plumbers. I just have to do the best I can when I am going away for Christmas in a couple days.

Thanks for help.

@JamesEB we appreciate your plight.

However, to prevent flood risk and prepare your system for winter absence requires a certain amount of physical ability, which I guess you're now aware of.

Is there not some organisation in your local community that provides assistance for those in need?I s there a local handyman that you can call upon?

My granddad lived in the sticks and had such a chap who did odd jobs for him.
Sadly no longer with us but, at his funeral, I met his handyman, who'd come to pay his respects.
He was as upset as I and said he'd become very fond of my granddad (who could be a stubborn git at times) and had lost a close friend.
I'll never forget that or him :)

There's nothing like that here.

Sponsored Links
Turn your stop cock fully off , and turn on the kitchen cold water tap ,that should cease to give water immediately. And will prove its working.

That worked thank you. I am very grateful to you.

There is just a slight drip from the tap. It's a mixer tap.

I just have to do the best I can when I am going to be away for Christmas in a couple of days,

JamesdEB

Last edited:
Turn your stop cock fully off , and turn on the kitchen cold water tap ,that should cease to give water immediately. And will prove its working.

There is just a slight drip from the tap. It's a mixer tap.

I just have to do the best I can when I am going to be away for Christmas in a couple of days,

JamesdEB

terryplumb Now I've done that how do I drain the tank please ?

Last edited:
You have not confirmed ,but I assume you have a hot water cylinder that is supplied by a tank in a loft. After closing the main incoming water stopcock ,turn on ALL taps in the property ,hot and cold.This will drain the loft tank ,but not the hot water cylinder. As the hot water cylinder is likely well lagged that should be OK for a few days.
But this will not drain the central heating system ,radiators / boiler and the pipework linking them. That would require a hose pipe to be connected to drain off points and ran to an outside drain .

You have not confirmed ,but I assume you have a hot water cylinder that is supplied by a tank in a loft. After closing the main incoming water stopcock ,turn on ALL taps in the property ,hot and cold.This will drain the loft tank ,but not the hot water cylinder. As the hot water cylinder is likely well lagged that should be OK for a few days.
But this will not drain the central heating system ,radiators / boiler and the pipework linking them. That would require a hose pipe to be connected to drain off points and ran to an outside drain .

And, of course... You will then have the issue of filling it all up and venting when you return and want it reinstated.

There is just a slight drip from the tap.

JamesdEB
You have not confirmed ,but I assume you have a hot water cylinder that is supplied by a tank in a loft. After closing the main incoming water stopcock ,turn on ALL taps in the property ,hot and cold. This will drain the loft tank ,but not the hot water cylinder.

When I had done this if the boiler was working would I leave the central heating on or turn it off?
thanks
JamesEB

Draining the central heating system would require electrically isolating the boiler ( turn off the electric supply to it )whether it is in working condition or not.
Take note of dilalios valid point above.
If boiler is in full working order it would make more sense to not drain the central heating ,but to leave it on ,very low setting, to keep the property temperature above freezing point.
Turning off stopcock and draining domestic hot and cold water via all taps can be done if the boiler is working or not.Hope this is clear .

Draining the central heating system would require electrically isolating the boiler ( turn off the electric supply to it )whether it is in working condition or not.
Take note of dilalios valid point above.
If boiler is in full working order it would make more sense to not drain the central heating ,but to leave it on ,very low setting, to keep the property temperature above freezing point.
Turning off stopcock and draining domestic hot and cold water via all taps can be done if the boiler is working or not.Hope this is clear .

terryplumb I am immensely grateful to you. I have never understood this for years. I will never be able to drain the radiators so for the future I will turn off the main incoming water stopcock and drain hot and cold water via all taps and turn on central heating.

There is one other thing in a different context you mentioned turning off the power to the boiler. I have a Worcester Greenstar Compact. It is turned off at the programmer but still has a blue flashing light. How do I turn that off, please?

Thanks everyone for help.

JamesEB

Somewhere close to the boiler and programmer you would usually have a fused connection unit ,possibly incorporating a switch. Its about the size of a normal wall light switch ,square shaped and has a small pull out fuse carrier. Some boilers just have a normal plug that goes into an electric socket , like your electric kettle ,TV etc

Somewhere close to the boiler and programmer you would usually have a fused connection unit ,possibly incorporating a switch. Its about the size of a normal wall light switch ,square shaped and has a small pull out fuse carrier. Some boilers just have a normal plug that goes into an electric socket , like your electric kettle ,TV etc

Thank you. I couldn't see anything at the boiler. The programmer is in a different room and it does, as you said, have a fused spur. I switched it off ad the blue light went out. I am very pleased thank you.

Thanks again.
JamesEB

Thank you. I couldn't see anything at the boiler. The programmer is in a different room and it does, as you said, have a fused spur. I switched it off ad the blue light went out. I am very pleased thank you.

Thanks again.
JamesEB

But... @JamesEB don't forget, Terry advised about leaving CH on low as you have not drained it. So, turning your boiler off will not allow you to do this! Or are you just going to take the chance that the CH pipes won't freeze? Just a caution reminder mate.

But... @JamesEB don't forget, Terry advised about leaving CH on low as you have not drained it. So, turning your boiler off will not allow you to do this! Or are you just going to take the chance that the CH pipes won't freeze? Just a caution reminder mate.

Thanks but you missed 2 of the posts. One when I said the boiler isn't working and can't get fixed until I come back from being away and two that I am never going to be able to drain the pipes.

Thanks for your concerns.
JamesEB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back