What to do with uneven patch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a small part of the garden, about 6' by 15' that is very uneven and, as it is the lowest point of the garden it gets very boggy in winter. It is grassed over but almost impossible to mow.

I want to either
a) dig it over and barrow in enough topsoil to raise it about 4 to 6 inch, level it off and then turf it next year. Do I need to get rid of all the existing grass (if so, how?) or can I cut it back and turn the soil over it?

or b) do something that anyone may suggest as a better option. Flagging is out.

dave

Sponsored Links
It sounds like it needs drainage. Is there an even lower point at the edge of the garden and, if so, would you be able to dig a narrow trench through to it?

An alternative would be to dig out a sump underneath and fill it with stones before putting the soil back. This will give you a lot more soil to put back. I bet you find heavy clay down there. Whatever it might look like, clay can be rich in plant food. It just needs mixing with sand and humus to make it into good soil. :) :) :)

Or --

:idea: Turn your waterlogged hole into a natural pond. :idea:

Thanks SC,

I like the idea of a drainage sump, may try that.
It is only in heavy rain that it gets soaked but does then take a week or more to drain away and is very squidgey underfoot for a period of time.

One side of the area has a breeze block wall up three blocks to next doors higher level garden, and the back of the area has panel fencing with the bottom row a concrete section.

The last idea of a pond /water feature is out but made me laugh because the Manager has her helicoptor clothes driers in the middle of the plot and I pictured her in wellies hanging out the washing. :LOL:

dave

One side of the area has a breeze block wall up three blocks to next doors higher level garden, and the back of the area has panel fencing with the bottom row a concrete section.

That explains a lot. It's the lowest point in your own garden and it's boxed in on two sides. It's a natural sump already! When it rains the water runs towards that hollow and finds no easy way out. Certainly not up into next door's raised garden where the water table is three blocks higher. You're getting their water too! :eek: :eek: :eek:

What's on the other side of that fence with its concrete base? The street perhaps? That base will have a foundation strip under it so there's no easy way out there either. All you need now to complete your underground water tank is thick clay or bedrock.

You'll have to dig down and find out exactly what you have got. I would try the fenced edge first. See if you can get deeper than the foundation strip without actually undermining it. You can then lay a land drain in a trench next to that block wall to intercept the water coming off the higher ground and lead it into the sump.

If you're hemmed in by bedrock and foundations it's on to plan B. Raise the area up higher than the rest of the garden and make a patio. :) :) :) (Incidentally, which way is North?) This will push the flooding problem further up into your own garden so you'll have to put a land drain along the front edge of your patio and lead it to some point where the water can escape. This might be a point further along the fence, possibly right along at your other corner- or you could have a pond there instead. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I will have to look into the drainage first with the idea of a trench with gravel in to drain to a soak-away near the fence. It is a council park on the other side of the fence but I can investigate trying to get a drain through there.

What I want to know is can I just cut the existing grass and turn the soil then add topsoil to a depth of about 6 inch on top ready to turf it, or will the old grass eventually grow through along with any weeds that I may bury?

Not really an Alan Titchmarsh as you can tell. Thanks for the help so far.

dave

Sorry, I forgat all about the grass question. Old turf is the best compost you can get. :D :D :D There's no need to cut the grass. Just lift the turf, stack it and wait for the bacteria and fungi to do their stuff. :cool: :cool: :cool: Alternatively just dig it well in. If you're going to plant new grass a bit of the old stuff breaking through won't make any difference.

If you're worried about weeds you can dose the whole area with chlorate before you bury it. Chlorate kills all known plants - dead! :evil: :evil: :evil: But I wouldn't bother. The weeds you have now came from somewhere. No matter what you do, more weeds will arrive to colonize your new grass. Weeds are like that. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back