What to fill my wall cavity with

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm doing a loft insulation. There is an interior wall (blocks) which comes up as far as the 1st floor with a cavity. I am going to dry line from the 1st floor up and use insulation board but what can I put into the cavity ? Insulation board wont slide down so I was hoping that some kind of granual product would work. If I did this would that create a problem with condensation ?

Sponsored Links
Have you thought of having the cavity insulation injected?
It's not that expensive these days and you might be lucky, there could be grants or a decent sized discounts in your area.
If you have the cavity insulated, there would be no need to use internal insulation boards, this save some money and space.

Any other suggestions ? - Was told that it would be much easier to put some product into the cavity before the top was closed off. Back to square one I'm afraid.

Be careful what you use, incorrect or unproven insulation material in the cavity could give you serious damp problems. I did some research intending to insulate the cavityies as part of my own property renovation but after reading some of the horror stories I came across, my cavities will remain empty for the foreseeable future :!:

Sponsored Links
Be careful what you use, incorrect or unproven insulation material in the cavity could give you serious damp problems. I did some research intending to insulate the cavityies as part of my own property renovation but after reading some of the horror stories I came across, my cavities will remain empty for the foreseeable future :!:

I completely agree - And retrofitting cavity wall insulation in the relatively small gap between the two skins gives at best a very small improvement in insulation. Much better for air to be free to circulate between the two skins as was the original design intent of this method of construction.

Much better for air to be free to circulate between the two skins as was the original design intent of this method of construction.

Was that really the purpose ? I thought it was separation of the two skins to eliminate water penetration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back