What to use to seal external sand/cement render finish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I've just had my extension rendered (1 scratch coat, 1 top coat) and was planning on painting it with a quality masonry paint. However, the colour of the unpainted render is a very close and complimenting colour to the blockwork of the existing house. I would like to leave it unpainted.

The scratch coat had a waterproofer and plasticiser in it, as did the top coat.

Is there a product that i can apply to the render that has the same or similar sealing properties as masonry paint?

I asked the plasterer about this and he advised me to apply a coat of stabilising primer first and then a coat of "Weathershield". He said "Weathershield" was available as a clear solution, but the only stuff I can seem to find is Dulux Weathershield masonry paint, which doesn't come in a clear version.

Does anybody have any ideas as what should be used?

Many thanks

Gordon.

Sponsored Links
Why use anything? Leave it like it is.

Stabilising solution is a clear liquid, a bit like a very thin varnish, but it doesn't give an even/attractive finish and almost certainly should be overpainted.
It will help to stop the surface losing sand and is supposed to make painting better as it reduces the absorbency.

You could leave it like it is, but I think it's better to protect the render against the elements with paint.

I think you've misunderstood your plasterer if you think there is such a thing as clear paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back