what type of pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple questions:

Am currently planning to plumb in my new bathroom.

Wife and I have noticed in many new building that the 15mm pipe used to feed taps, etc. is a shiny silver colour. We would prefer to use that type of pipe in our new bathroom as it looks nicer that standard copper pipe.

1) What is this pipe called? (thought it might be chromed)
2) Can it be used with standard compression fittings?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Its usually chromed brass and it can be used with compression fittings although special care should be used with them.

There is also stainless steel tube available as well but this is even more expensive than chromed.

You could always use copper and paint it with silver paint. It does not look much different after a few months.

Tony

Painted copper pipe does not look anything like chrome pipe installations.

Chrome pipework with chrome compression fittings and chrome brackets looks and is professional in bathrooms and anywhere else you can afford it, to be frank....! ;)

Go For It.......... :LOL:

Thanks for the advice. I will go hunt and gather chrome pipe for the visible bits of my bathroom install.

Sponsored Links
Actually it's chrome copper, and can be purchased in chrome or nickle finish.

Beans-on-Toast said:
Painted copper pipe does not look anything like chrome pipe installations.

Chrome pipework with chrome compression fittings and chrome brackets looks and is professional in bathrooms and anywhere else you can afford it, to be frank....! ;)

Go For It.......... :LOL:

Hello Frank. I installed some copper pipe in a bathroom once and the customer had me remove it all below floor level and he took it all away to be GOLD plated! Looked horible! LOL. ;)

If you do end up with copper you can buy lengths of plastic pipe cover which just fits over. Real chrome looks nice though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back