What type of system is required for multi unit property?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Just registered on this site which looks highly resourceful and looking to meet and gain invaluable info from this portal.

Can anyone help with the following property we are converting;

Three storey property, which has been completely gutted from top to bottom (i.e. new dormer, removed chimneys, first fix joinery and currently in process of full rewire and plumbing).

At present the property is a shell, however plan to do the following;

Lower Ground Floor - 1 bed flat with separate kitchen and bathroom (to be completed in mid 2012).
Ground Floor - 2 bed flat with lounge, kitchen and bathroom
First Floor - x2 1 bed flats with separate kitchen and bathroom
Second Floor - 1 bed flat with separate kitchen and bathroom

No of radiators (exc basement flat) - 11
No of kitchens (exc basement flat)- 4
No of bathrooms (exc basement flat) - 4
Single phase electric supply

As the landlords, we shall be paying for gas/electric bills and want to ensure the system installed in cost effective in the medium/long term as well as have adequate supply in terms of water pressure and constant supply of hot water on demand for each flat.

Can anyone help with the best solution, as need answer pronto?

Many thanks

xx Jane

Sponsored Links
Am sure that other's will advise differently, but I'd go for localised point of use water heaters for showers and kitchen sinks. Easier to maintain and takes less time for hot water to be delivered.

Agreed, Something like the Rinnai range of instant water heaters would be ideal provided.

As with any system, the mains can deliver, otherwise you'll need a break tank and pump set.

You need a consultant to design the installation properly, alternatively an RGI that's familiar with this type of installation.

op - you will obviously be applying for HMO licence and you should check with your local authority regarding their requirements (one assumes you have already done this). Smoke/fire alarms system should be installed now - ask on the appropriate forum on here.

Having gone through the process a short number of years ago, feel free to pm and I'll offer whatever little advice I can based on cocking things up :)

Sponsored Links
I dont think this will be subject to any HMO requirements if each accommodation has its own kitchen and bathrooms.

Being three story it will be subject to fire alarms and possibly even fire escape provision.

When getting planning permission to convert (?) this should have been covered in the Building Reg consent.

I would probably go for a hot water storage and circulating system if it was mine. That keeps all the plumbing and boilers in the boiler room and so can be checked and maintained without bothering the tenants.

I see some real abortions when I go to do repairs such as one flat with three boilers in it serving other flats etc. and no heating controls so two flats have heating times controlled by a boiler in another flat !!!

Tony Glazier

I dont think this will be subject to any HMO requirements if each accommodation has its own kitchen and bathrooms.
Ignoring the s/c basement, the rest of the house will have 5 flats and 4 kitchens and 4 bathrooms. Thus some sharing seems to be taking place

i would suggest a centralised system with two boilers and mains pressue hot water system. maintaining lots of boilers would be expensive each flat can be controlled separately by the tenants
if you are near doncaster send me a message i can quote for the whole job if required

The problems of HMOs are so severe any landlord must be mad if they create an HMO when it is not required.

An HMO is only created when a self contained flat does not have its own dedicated ( not shared ) bathroom and kitchen.

It does not seem to be well known that an HMO landlord needs to go on a certification course if he is not to be at a very serious disadvantage.

Tony

Is it possible that rthe flats may be sold seperately in the future ??

Was or am involved in several propertys being supplies via 2 boilers , each property has it's own plate exc connected to the main boiler , own un vented cylinder all piped as an S plan !

can be converted to stand alone systems should the need arise ?

Maybe ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back