what varnish for new skirting etc...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
i've just finished fitting new knotty pine skirting, achitrave, door frames and doors.
i was wondering how to get that oaky sort of colour now to the pine?
1) do i need to treat the knotts?

2) should i use wax, stain or colour varnish?

3) do i need to water the first coat down?

sorry for all the ? but i am a newby to this as you can tell, any advise would be greatly appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
polyurethane varnish (aka quick drying, water based, microporous) is very natural in effect and only darkens the wood sligtly.

sounds like you would like some deepening of colour so i would recommend something like osmo polyx oil. it's very natural in composition , but oil based.

I'd do one of two things.

If time is important and you want to avoid alot of elbow grease then seal the knots in with a barrier seal and then overcoat it with some polyurethane varnish. This will definitely bring out the real tones in the timber.

If you're after a really traditonal look then you can't beat 2 coats of Shellac sanding sealer (sanded back between coats) and the finish off with 0000 steelwool.

All of these products can be bought through Smith & Rodger or Mylands websites. Hope this helps. I must admit I'd avoid OSMO - had some bad experiences.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back