What wood stain for stairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm starting work this weekend on painting/staining my newly fitted staircase.

The look i've decided to go for is white spindles/stringer with a stained handrail and base rail.

I'm not sure what wood stain I should be using for this particular application so was hoping for some recommendations.

Should I be looking at the 'Ronseal' range or elsewhere?

Sponsored Links
Me personally would use "wood dye", then varnish over "wood dye". However, DO NOT come onto surrounding wood with "wood dye".

Whatever you do - don't use coloured varnish.

Use something like Ronseal but don't put it on too strong. I prefer to thin it out with white spirit and then brush it on and wipe it off. Then coat it with a clear acrylic varnish when it is dry.

Can't say I like the idea of white spindles though - neither one thing nor the other.

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
Can't say I like the idea of white spindles though - neither one thing nor the other.

I think it looks much better than staining the entire lot!

pic-h.jpg

What do you guys think of the 'Colron' range of dyes, they seem to have a nice range of colours.

Third_Eye said:
Me personally would use "wood dye", then varnish over "wood dye". However, DO NOT come onto surrounding wood with "wood dye".

I agree with that...

I use wood DYE not stain...oil based is best i find, pour some in a pot and put half again of varnish...it makes the dye go ten times as far, doesnt flick every where and raises the grain on the wood enough to sand it lightly

joe-90 said:

I think it looks much better than staining the entire lot!

[
img]http://www.cpstairmasters.com/pic-h.jpg[/img]
really really like the staircase can you tell me what products and colours you used as its exactly the look im trying to get

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back