What would cos these voltages?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Working on a boiler today, live to neutral 240v, live to earth 240v, Earth to neutral 0v

On turning the isolator switch off and removing the fuse, at the boiler my readings were now:
Live to neutral 306v
Live to earth 70v
Neutral to earth 348v

Any ideas what would cause this one? Not for me to fix, told the guy to get an electrician, but very curious as I normally have a fair idea with odd voltage readings

Sponsored Links
Assuming it was high impedance digital meter these stray voltages are almost always induced from adjacent wiring or pipe work by capacitive coupling.

A useful tool is a low wattage 240 volt test lamp ( incandescent filament lamp ) to sink any induced current while measuring the voltage. Or invest in a low impedance meter.

Source of the stray voltages ? How many electrical phases in the building ( flats on different phases ) ? Plastic water pipes ?

Thanks for the response. It was a standard basic fluke multimeter I was using. Single phase new build type building (15 years old approx

Copper pipes off of boiler, but more often than not change to plastic outside of view in these type of houses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back