What's happened to this plaster underneath wallpaper?

AMW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we've removed the wallpaper on one wall that the previous owners had on. Wallpaper came off quite easily but underneath the paper on the plaster (or plasterboard but presume it's plaster) there a lots of tiny little cracks all over the wall. Can barely get your fingernail in them if at all in some cases and it feels quite smooth? What is this and can it be fixed easily so we can paint over it?
Been suggested it might be moisture in the old paint underneath and it has cracked but can't peel the paint of at all. Wall is fairly smooth just all the little micro cracks! It's an exterior facing wall if that matters. Possible to just sand flat and go from there? Wallpaper was removed with sponge and water and a scraper. House is 2008 so not too old.
Thanks for any help, pictures below....

paint1.jpg
paint 4.jpg
paint 2.jpg
paint 3.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is it possible that's another layer of wallpaper? Dig a bit.
Could be painted wallpaper and the emulsion has cracked so was papered over.
Is there plaster under surface.
Is the wall hollow sounding when you knock or solid brick?

I could try that, just don't want to damage the plaster! It could be though....

Wall's hollow sounding in places, solid in others....so I guess it's timber behind with dot and dab plasterboard? (Sorry I'm no expert!)

It looks to me like the paint is checking. Not adhering properly and shrank as it dried.

House is not old enough to have Distemper, but it might be paint over some poor material such as glue or paste.

Are there any brown stains or odour suggesting a smoker?

Sponsored Links
It looks to me like the paint is checking. Not adhering properly and shrank as it dried.

House is not old enough to have Distemper, but it might be paint over some poor material such as glue or paste.

Are there any brown stains or odour suggesting a smoker?

Thanks for the reply. No stains or everything evidence of smoking at all, pretty sure it’s been a smoke free house.
The other half who did most of this did say it looks like maybe another lay of red paint underneath this…..will have to investigate that further tomorrow……
Either way then it’s not the plaster itself which I guess is good news at least!

Sorry and yes as above house is 2008 built

Might it be matt paint over gloss or silk?

Might it be matt paint over gloss or silk?
Could well be….do you know of what we can do with it in terms of painting over it or is best to try remove whatever it is?

All the surface crazing is vertical? That suggests it's following something that's under.. just dig at it

The wall is suffering from cellulite..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back