Grey plaster cracked after steaming wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to steam off wallpaper in our 1920s semi we've just moved into. In the kitchen there's a small alcove which is like to restore as a pantry but having steamed off the textured wallpaper and revealed a grey plaster underneath I've realised it's been wallpapered over to obviously hide where plaster is cracked in other places. I've felt around the other walls and the plaster seems easy to push in in places. The bits that have been revealed have cracked off in some places and I *think* underneath there may be a solid wall.

What I'd like help with is to know what to do - do I continue to get rid off the wallpaper using the steamer and potentially crack more of the plaster off and get it reskimmed?
Do I crack all the plaster off to reveal what's behind it?
It's only going to get painted white and then shelves put up for a pantry so it doesn't need to be the smoothest of walls.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back