Problem with removing wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just brought a new house built in the late 1800s. I wanted to repaint the hallway white.

There is a decorative trim that runs halfway up the wall. above the trim is painted white. Below the trim is grey wallpaper. I decided that I wanted to remove the weallpaper and paint this white.

However, when I started removing the wallpaper the wall beneath is brown. At first glance it almost looked like wood as it had a slight grainy look to it. The brown surface is smooth to the touch.

I used a steamer to remove the rest of the wallpaper. Some of the brown stuf did come off when steamed for ages and scraped a lot but underneath this is the plaster and it is very rough and almost chalky in texture.

What do I do? Should I persevere and remove the brown stuff and skim the wall..

I can post images if this will help

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the brown stuff likely to be hardboard or something similar - sounds like it could be?

Images would help, but it sounds like the best solution would be to strip and skim.

It is a tar/bitumen type product that was commonly used as a kind of damp proofing method years ago - can't remember the name right now. When dry, it was often painted over and given a woodgrain finish, as you described.

Care should be taken when removing it as the paint may well be lead based. Tips here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/KeepingSafeAtHome/DG_179814

If you do remove it then I would advise using a chemical or water based stripper rather than a heat gun due to the possibility of the tar burning. Dispose of the waste at your local recycling centre. I've only removed it twice and it's a messy job so generally re-paper over it after using a stain blocking primer.

Skimming over it is possible, but the tar is still likely to bleed through the plaster and leave brown stains, so it is also wise to use a stain block in this instance too, before painting/papering the area.

Sponsored Links
sounds a bit like it could be a Lincrusta dado. this was made to look like wood and was grained and varnished over the top with scumble. This goes very sticky when you apply heat near it.

Sorry my late reply here I have been off this forum for sometime, Robbie you are spot on that is exactly what it is.

Dec

sounds a bit like it could be a Lincrusta dado. this was made to look like wood and was grained and varnished over the top with scumble. This goes very sticky when you apply heat near it.

Sorry my late reply here I have been off this forum for sometime, Robbie you are spot on that is exactly what it is.

I thought Lincrusta was a heavily embossed, decorative paper and panelling system which was finished with a paint effect you've described. If that is what purpleozzie has, then I am a little confused as to why he has described this 'brown stuff' as being smooth and beneath the wallpaper and the images don't show any embossing. :confused:

Does this mean that the paint finish could also be applied directly to the wall?

Mr H,

You are right Lincrusta is a heavily embossed wallcovering, after looking at the pics I noticed what looks to me like patches of a very heavy wallcovering.

It would be my guess here that someone has tried to remove the crusta and gave up and papered over it. The manufacture of Lincrusta involved the fusion of Linseed oil, the brown stuff that the op is now finding difficult to remove is what I believe to be a mixture of the Linseed oil and probably a Walnut oil based Scumble.

Have another look at the pics, those raised areas look very much like a very thick wallcovering.

Dec

Have another look at the pics, those raised areas look very much like a very thick wallcovering.

Still can't see it myself - probably need an eye test!! :LOL:

It looks similar to what I have encountered a few times in the past which is almost a tar like substance (smells like anyway), covered with a gloss like paint and finished with the wood effect described.

Whatever it is, I know it's a nightmare to remove! :evil:

Cheers for the reply. :)

Good luck with it purpleozzie! ;)

Fair enough Mr H I guess we are going to have to agree to differ on this one. ;)

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back