wallpaper has pulled paint off wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have removed some wallpaper of a very large wall and unfortunately the paint on most area's has come off with the wallpaper, some clever person did not seal the plaster before they wallpapered, the finish plaster is very good so i would like to repaint, the question is if i were to use a steamer would i be able to steam remove the remaining paint off the plaster without causing damage to plaster finish then i would seal with pva and repaint, anyone have any ideas on this. ?

Sponsored Links
You can if you wish with very careful use of either a steamer or hot air stripper remove the paint, yet great care has to be taken not to overheat the plaster for this will cause it to blow. When you have achieved the removal of the paint you should seal the skim with a mist coat of thinned matt emulsion on no account use PVA Another and indeed safer method would be to line the wall.

Dec

Hi thanks for the reply, if i use a medium weight lining paper would that cover ok, and will i need to seal or will paste alone do the job

Give the wall a light sanding dust off and apply a thinned coat of wallpaper paste to the wall (size) then you can hang your lining paper, take care to butt the seams together and on no account overlap them.

With regard to the lining paper 1200 grade should be fine.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Hi got all that thanks its gonna be a job and a half its a 30' wall :( many thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back