Whats the best paint or stain for a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 10x10 shed in my garden that 2x a year I have to apply fresh Cuprinol woodstain to. It looks great for a day, but then goes dull and dry. The weather easily removes it in places.

If searched for better, longer lasting products and some claim to look good for 5 years, but that seems to be just marketing crap.

Sadolin has always been in my mind as a good product, but at £20 a litre I'd need to be sure it was worth buying.

I don't want to be re applying all the time and don't want a surface that flakes such as paint, so any suggestions would be good.

Sponsored Links
I like cuprinol ducksback personally or for a bit more protection the solvent based cladding and fence opaque treatment

I thought Ducksback was a water based pigment that goes waterproof when it cures and it only sits ON the wood, not in it.

Does it fade or flake?

yes ducks back is as you say waterbased but i have some on a fence which was applied 3 years ago, still looked okay but i re-coated it anyway. It hadn;t flaked or peeled at all.

To be honest if its coming off as easily as you say it sounds like more prep work was needed. I always scrub treated timber with bleach and water before staining and then do it after at least 2 dry days.

Sponsored Links
The shed was first treated when it was brand new bare wood, so no prep work needed, but it seems to fade back too easily every time I reapply it.

It still repels water, but it looks so washed out, so I was just looking for something that looked better longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back