Whats the little screw in brass door knobs called

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

does anyone know what the little screw that stops brass door knobs on bedroom door from spinning on the square spindle is called and if you can buy them. My doors are the original victorian doors but on return from getting them dipped 2 screws appear to have gone and the knobs just spin.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi
I have just checked one of my handles / spindles, 1940's
the spindle is 5/16 " square & the screw appears to be 3/16" whitworth ,
So 3/16" BSW countersunk.
Hope this helps.
JonB

Grub screws !!
That's what they are called. Take one off a door that has one on and take it to your local screw/bolt suppliers and they will probably find something that will fit. Warning, you may have to buy dozens of them or there could be a minimum charge.

Sponsored Links
It might not be a grub screw.
Does it screw into the knob or does it go into the square spindle.

Alternativly as a last resort drill a hole in the spindle and screw a self tapping screw into it.

Hi,
its called a grub screw. :D

Hi,

does anyone know what the little screw that stops brass door knobs on bedroom door from spinning on the square spindle is called and if you can buy them. My doors are the original victorian doors but on return from getting them dipped 2 screws appear to have gone and the knobs just spin.

thanks

As I asked before , does it screw into the Knob or the square spindle???
Pullmyfinger respond!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back