What's this in my fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_2717.JPG
I've just removed the fire surround (for a modernish electric fire) in my 'new' Victorian house, in preparation for opening up the fireplace for a multi fuel stove. There are modern bricks behind it, which I half-expected to see, but at the bottom (see pic) there is a metallic-looking plate that I didn't. On its left hand side there's a disc with a slot, and the word Open with an arrow above it. I can turn the disc about 90 degrees but it doesn't seem to have any effect - so just thought I'd better find out what it's actually for before I begin demolishing it...

Sponsored Links
image.jpg
View attachment 134213
I've just removed the fire surround (for a modernish electric fire) in my 'new' Victorian house, in preparation for opening up the fireplace for a multi fuel stove. There are modern bricks behind it, which I half-expected to see, but at the bottom (see pic) there is a metallic-looking plate that I didn't. On its left hand side there's a disc with a slot, and the word Open with an arrow above it. I can turn the disc about 90 degrees but it doesn't seem to have any effect - so just thought I'd better find out what it's actually for before I begin demolishing it...
looks like a soot box door to give access for cleaning the flue.
Turning the disc should turn a catch , try getting a blade in between the door and frame to lever it out.
litl
Edit
this is whats on the other side,there may also be a tin inner cover

Last edited:
Ah, thats great, thanks, will check in the morning. Wonder why they thought it necessary to install that ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back