When Insects Attack!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DIYer in need of advice here.

I've built some cupboards/shelves into alcoves using timber and MDF board. The previous owners of the house have had problems with woodworm in the floor joists and floorboards incl right in the alcoves, but say it has all been treated. I thought I would treat the timber and bought some Cuprinol 5 Star something-or-other. However on ringing them up they've told me I have to wait 6-8 weeks before I can paint. Very very inconvenient.

So, 3 questions.
1) Does MDF need treating?
2) Any other options for protecting the timber?
3) I'm thinking of simply not bothering with it. Is that too risky?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Compromise Option:

The alcoves are on the groundfloor of a victorian terrace. The floor sits on joists which are accessible from below. I thought a compromise might be to treat joists and floorboards from below and floorboards from above too, and also the internal timber of the cupboards as it will not be painted. The fascia timber would then be painted without treatment, allowing me to finish the job in a day or 2. Any comments?

If you don't have an existing insect/rot problem then you've nothing to worry about. No living thing would want to eat mdf anyway. The paint will be protection enough. Keep the cuprinol in the shed as it's very good stuff and might come in handy one day. Or return it if you haven't opened it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back