When is a Will - not a Will ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[url=http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Jailed-Despicable-financial-adviser-preyed-Bristol-pensioner/article-1443050-detail/article.html]Evening Post[/url] said:
...A "despicable" independent financial adviser who stole £800,000 from the estates of three pensioners, including a woman from Bristol, was yesterday jailed for eight years.

Richard Nelson, who ran Nelson's of Cheltenham and had a Home Wills business, was said to have been motivated by "selfishness and greed" and had planned to steal the fortune when he prepared the wills.

The 45-year-old, who spent the cash on extravagant living, including an apartment in Marbella, designer watches and a public school education for his children, was unanimously found guilty by a jury of four charges of theft...

4 years WGB... £200k per annum... Decent return that.

Perhaps he was just one of the 'good old boys' who was silly/greedy enough to get caught... Lightly rapped acros the knuckles.

--

Sponsored Links
although this is no doubt the work of a conman it is no different to the everyday practice of highway robbery in the name of legitmate business

although this is no doubt the work of a conman it is no different to the everyday practice of highway robbery in the name of legitmate business
Happened to my mum's Barclays bank and some money out of Abbey account last week & her Barclaycard too :cry:

£5700 in total :mad: :cry:

he'll appeal, have it reduced to 5yrs and be out in 18months.
but prior to release will be allowed home on weekends and be allowed to work outside prison full time.
I'm afraid to say the judicial system and all that surrounds it stinks. :mad:

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the reason we will never be Great again... That supposes we actually were - Great.

Rodney... said:
They hang the man and flog the woman
That steal the goose from off the common,
But let the greater villain loose
That steals the common from the goose.

The Law demands that we atone
When we take things we do not own
But leaves the lords and ladies fine
Who take things that are yours and mine.

The poor and wretched don’t escape
If they conspire the law to break;
This must be so but they endure
Those who conspire to make the law.

The law locks up the man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the common’
And geese will still a common lack
Till they go and steal it back.

:D

Perhaps he was just one of the 'good old boys' who was silly/greedy enough to get caught... Lightly rapped acros the knuckles.

I'm positive this type of crime is very widespread, but because solicitors and mp's eat out of similar troughs, it is disregarded as a crime.

I was once an executor of a will. I asked one bank to confirm in writing that a bank account had been closed years before. They were astonished that I wanted this confirmation and that NO ONE had ever asked for it in the past.
I explained that other members of my family were aware of the bank accounts and I just wanted to be able to give a factual statement with evidence of the financial situation. They eventually issued a confirmatory letter.

[funnily enough writing this post has reminded me that I never confirmed with the banks head office if the statement was genuine, but would they admit it if it was'nt - I don't think so!)

But, it demonstrated to me that when a bank is confronted with an executors request, a corrupt individual within the banking organisation can deny the money exists and take it for themselves.

I'm sure it is not a rare occurence.

The solution if you are an appointed executor or a probable beneficiary of a will try to keep up to date with all financial transactions - how much and with which bank.

You never know you might catch out a crooked solicitor or an mp.

Back