When was it 440 volt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a lad many items which were three phase were marked 440 volt but since becoming an electrician it has been 415 and then 400 volt.

Since the volts are given as single phase I would assume:-
Single - Three
220 - 381
230 - 398
240 - 416
250 - 433
255 - 442
Now it seem most likely 440 was maximum voltage 440.6337 is three phase voltage plus 6% from 240 and 438.2089 is three phase voltage plus 10% from 230 volt. It would make sense to quote highest voltage on a warning label. But only guessing.

So any one know why it was called 440 volt?

Sponsored Links
So any one know why it was called 440 volt?
I can but guess that, back in those days, they 'rounded up' to the nearest 10V, hence 440V became the (rounded up) 3-phase equivalent of 250V single-phase (433V rounded up to 440V).

Kind Regards, John

Isn't it because that's traditionally near as dammit the highest tapping for the no-load voltage on standard distribution transformers?

Certainly around here (Swansea) that's what Western Power and formerly South Wales Electricity seem to have done - its quite common to see no-load single phase voltages between 248-252 at supply terminals in properties not especially close to the tranny.

That's higher than the average I'd expect to find in my area, but not unknown.

Having said that a lot of old industrial premises in my area still display the 440V warnings.

Sponsored Links
Interestingly all new transformers come with a 250V (single phase) secondary. (or 250/433 for 3 phase units) And have done for many years back to the older BEBS T1 spec and the more modern ES I35/1 spec)

When commisioning on large networks we do have to take into account keeping within limits at both ends of the network. (and the time of day we commision the substation forms part of this)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back