where do I connect an expansion tank feed to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the expansion tank in my attic/bedroom was taken out and I was left without hot water and no heat to upstairs radiators. I have now put back a new expansion tank with cold water cistern feed,vent pipe and overflow pipe. What I would like to know is where do I connect the feed/outlet at the bottom of the tank to in the sytem. I have fitted a new radiator under the new tank and that is cold as well. can I connect the outlet to the cold pipe on the radiator? to top up the system. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Ideally it should tee into the system within 150mm of where the open vent tees in - which you have evidently connected. In a perfect world, both of these should be immediately before the the pump.

The feed pipe and the vent pipe must be connected fairly close to the pump on the inlet side. The further away you are from the inlet of the pump, the more chance you have of endless problems. Any open vent boiler will have the details in the installation manual, so look it up in the one for your boiler. If you do not own a manual, email the manufacturer and request one. Another important detail about the vent pipe, make sure it is in 22 mm or larger and the more it rises above the tank before coming down again, the better. Avoid horizontal runs. I think most manufacturers want at least about half a metre.

Hi, didnt quite understand. do I connect feed/outlet from expansion tank 150mm away from expansion pipe from copper storage cylinder? or expansion pipe that goes into expansion tank? cylinder is a floor down from attic/tank. many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi, didnt quite understand. do I connect feed/outlet from expansion tank 150mm away from expansion pipe from copper storage cylinder? or expansion pipe that goes into expansion tank? cylinder is a floor down from attic/tank. many thanks.

It's (unfortunately) not quite as easy as that. It depends on the position of your pump, your motorised controls and on which primary the pump is located.

It may be an idea to get a heating engineer to give you some (paid) advice and then you could take it from there.

All the advice so far is on the assumption that your system is fully pumped, if it's a gravity system then it would be on a different set up.
Why cant you reconnect it as it was with the old F&E tank?

Hi Keego, it is a gravity system,but I didnt take the feed expansion tank out,so I dont know how the outlet connects back to the system. I looked at diagrams and they show the tank connecting to the water cylinder to fill up the radiators and heat the water?

As a curious onlooker it always surprises me when I read about this kind of thing!

Can you explain how somebody apparently came without your approval and took parts out of your heating system and then is not called back to fix the problem they caused?

Was it Bailiffs because you have some debts?

Tony

Hi, I have more info If anyone can help, my system is an indirect one.Baxi bermuda fire with back boiler,and there is a pump under floor for hot water.the storage cylinder and water tank are on next floor, and expansion tank is one floor above in attic.

Hi Keego, it is a gravity system,but I didnt take the feed expansion tank out,so I dont know how the outlet connects back to the system. I looked at diagrams and they show the tank connecting to the water cylinder to fill up the radiators and heat the water?

Feed goes to the bottom connection (return) on the side of the cylinder & the expansion goes to the one just above it (flow).

But how did someone come and remove parts of your system???

Tony

I too was wondering why "the expansion tank in my attic/bedroom was taken out ...."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back