Where is the air in the radiators coming from?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a trianco eurostar oil fired combi boiler fitted with an expansion vessel. All seems normal and operating fine, however every few days I find the system gets noisy on start up with air collecting in the radiators. How can this be if the system is pressurised to 1.5 bar and I can find no signs of water leakage from the system. Surely air can only be drawn in if I have a leak. If system pressure remains over a bar at all times if there is a leak it will be water leaking out not air drawn in. Please advise how does the air get into the system?

Sponsored Links
If your system is old and/or uninhibited, and also depending on your water type, you could have corrosion going on. Corrosion produces hydrogen which then collects in the rads. You could check it by lighting it but I wouldn't!
Best thing to do would be to drain down, flush with a cleaner for 2/3 weeks and then refill with a good inhibitor.

If your system is old and/or uninhibited, and also depending on your water type, you could have corrosion going on. Corrosion produces hydrogen which then collects in the rads. You could check it by lighting it but I wouldn't!
Best thing to do would be to drain down, flush with a cleaner for 2/3 weeks and then refill with a good inhibitor.

That sounds like good advice, can you advise as to what product to use.

This:

p1813512_l.jpg

Followed by:

p1815891_l.jpg

Sponsored Links
Breesey, many thanks for the tip. You don't know of a good plumber / central heating engineer on the Isle of Man do you?

I may be an experienced marine engineer but when it comes to servicing domestic boilers and fitting a digital programmer unit I would rather employ someone who has the necessasy test kit and does this sort of work for a living. The flushing of the system should be quite straight forward but would like the whole job done as a oner. Once again thanks for the advice and a Merry Christmas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back