Air in Towel Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a towel radiator in the bathroom. Every couple of weeks or so the top bar becomes full of air and so cold. I let the air out but the same always happens.

How is this air getting in? Does it mean I have a leak in the system somewhere - if air gets in then surely water is getting out? There is no sign of a leak. All other radiators in the house are fine.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Could be hydrogen as a by-product of corrosion in the system. When was the system last drained, cleaned and inhibited?

I've lived here for two years - it has not been done in that time.

Wouldn't it need massive corrosion to be filling the whole top bar with air every couple of weeks? And why is the air only getting into the bathroom radiator?

Carefully see if you can ignite the gas that bleeds out, hydrogen will burn greeny colour.

The top of the towel rail is probably the highest part of the system - isn't it?

I assume that until recently the system has been air free - over the last two years at least?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

No, this problem has been going on since I moved in so for 2 years at least. It's easy to bleed it every few weeks so I haven't been too bothered but it has finally started frustrating me.

It probably is the highest part of the system but is a similar height to the upstairs radiators. Only the boiler is higher - also in the bathroom.

So no harm to do in draining, flushing and inhibiting.

What boiler have you got? When wa it serviced last? Any signs of leakage on it ie dried crap, leaking auto air vent?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back