Where to look for a bivalent ASHP+Gas system designer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have an ASHP in my bungalow feeding radiators with an immersion heater to top up the DHW and it's on E7 electric.

We're planning on adding an additional bedroom and extending the dining room. Current levels of insulation vary from OK in some rooms to dire in others therefore we're planning on replacing the last of the steel framed single glazed windows with aluminium D/G all round. Improve the wall's U values where it's single block and cladding (Oh Kingspan how we love thee) and maybe put some more loft insulation in (although there is a lot in there already).

One of the architect types who's been out to price for the design work suggested the ASHP probably won't cope with the extra heat load. I don't know enough about them in everyday use to have a view but my late uncle who put it in seemed to think it wasn't the be all and end all. On top of this I have an inner hatred of immersion heaters although I'm sure they're a lot better now than they were when I was a child (memories of my dad going off on one every time the 'leccy bill landed).

So I thought about having a small combi boiler installed for DHW and to top up the ASHP C/H bivalent style in the winter. And then my little knowledge of plumbing and heating runs out. Where would one go for informed advice on how to best heat my house that isn't trying to sell me a new ASHP/Boiler/full C/H system?

Sponsored Links
Unless you have anything other than excellent insulation all round, don't bother with an ashp .
Indeed, but that’s already in as mentioned above. In fairness the house was toasty warm during the beast from the east so it’s obviously man enough for the job today.

One other thing that I forgot to mention above is we intend to open a self service grooming salon so our hot water consumption is likely to be far more than a “normal” three bed bungalow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back