ASHP and "Normal" Hot Water Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm currently pulling the components together for new heating and DHW plant in my property. I'm proposing a Bivalent system for various reason, Gas boiler and ASHP combo.

My question is on the DHW generation. I currently have a PHX and DHW cylinder (no coil) to get the most from the lower flow temp when in heat pump mode. However, it got me thinking on simplifying the setup using a standard megaflow type cylinder, which most people have. I'm proposing min 50degC flow temp and immersion top up. The ASHP will operate on a max dT10.

Is anyone using an ASHP to charge a typical megaflow type DHW cylinder at lower flow temps successfully, or is it a must to buy an ASHP compatible cylinder?

Sponsored Links
It's best to buy a heat pump compatible hot water cylinder because it has a larger coil to offer better heat transfer.

That's not to say you cannot use a standard cylinder, it may take longer to heat the water and may need a buffer vessel depending on system volume.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back