Where to site Spirovent/AAV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a combined F/E pipe in the airing cupboard. The pipe travels up the wall to approx 7 ft then enters the loft. The pipe then runs towards the F/E tank which is in the middle of the loft approx 15ft from where the pipe enters. The pipe run is on a slight incline.

When my hot water circuit comes on first thing in the morning I can hear water gushing down the f/e pipe for a few seconds but remains in the system all day. I can hear air passing up into my pump and air in the boiler.

I upgraded a few rads a few months ago and drained ther system down. Since then the air just wont leave the system. Which is when I first noticed this problem.

I have been told that a Spirovent/AAV should solve this problem but not sure which or where to site them. I thought that maybe the AAV would work at the top of the F/E pipe where it enters the loft as this seems to be where the air is collecting. Also I have tried the glass of water test at the vent pipe in the tank and no water was sucked up while the system was running. Not sure why the air is not leaving the F/E pipe via the vent but was told that air wont vent out while the system is running.

The boiler is a potterton prima and I have a 3 way diverter valve ( Honeywell )

Any thoughts on where I should put either vent or if I even need a vent would be helpful.

Anyway I have included a photos which may help.
View media item 24221 View media item 24222 View media item 24223

Sponsored Links
For the air to enter the system the way you describe, you possibly have an air pocket.

If system if full of water i.e. no air, water in the system will not compress and water will not be 'pulled' down the F&T pipe.

I would try closing the cap on the auto air vent and see if that helps.

System instal should be such that the system self purges to the highest point e.g into radiators, vent points or the header tank.

Fitting a Sprovent unlikely to help me thinks.

Thanks for reply DP.

I will try closing the red cap on the AAV and see if it helps.

Will I be right in thinking that I should have the HW and CH on when I run the system and should the boiler be on MAX. ??

Thanks again for replying

Sponsored Links
Makes no difference what permutations are applied to programmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back