Which ASHP brand to go with...

Why don't you fit yourself a nice oil boiler?
I'm taking a delivery today. 1800L@ £0.58p/l.
Cheap as dirt and trouble free heating.

With the savings you make spend it on home insulation.

Aye and your still paying £0.58/Ltr when it's -14C, it'll not de-frost & nick all your heat from your house!!!

Sponsored Links
OK, yes that makes me not want a DanFoss!...although it's more the installer than the product i think.

Ok next...

Altherma high temp is limited by the first stage low temp

Can this comment be elaborated on?

Thing to remember is we are on LPG...which is very expensive, even when we barely ever turn the heating on. Plus our standard of life is poor because the house is so cold all the time! it's still cost £900 this year..barely even running it.

The Altherma HT seems like a good option as I'm told it will work with microbore and, although the efficiency drops, it can go high temp for the coldest days. Also one of the more suited ASHP for rad systems.

Thoughts?

Altherna HT uses two refridgerents r410 and r143a, has two clear cycles and two compressors, the fault is quite simple the first cycle is standard r410, if on a cold day this hfc doesn't work the cycle 2 won't start.
So your limited by the first gas as to what you get out,they're only HT above -5ish.

Advantage of CO2,is one gas,one compressor that does the same as althermas 2.

What do you think you'll gain just by fitting a mcs product when the RHi won't give you anything for ASHP come the crunch.rather than have a couple of quid a year I'd rather have a unit that'll do the job and create a saving that way.

Thanks for explaining all that.

Despite my comment on MCS I only seeing that as a bonus, if it happens.

Interesting conversation today with a man closely linked with the RHI scheme...he mentioned the likelihood will be that Ashp's will have to achieve (or be designed to) a COP of 2.9 or higher to qualify.

Probably just more smoke and mirrors but he seemed very confident this was the plan for RHI.

Anyways I'm going to look into Sanyo and HT and see what comes.

Thanks for the help all

Hitachi for me, visited a few various makes recently and for me the hitachi yutaki is performing the best, also they don't steal heat from the house, if defrosting properly they should defrost using heat from the unit and a small amount of heat from primary flow and returns

Sponsored Links
Hitachi for me, visited a few various makes recently and for me the hitachi yutaki is performing the best, also they don't steal heat from the house, if defrosting properly they should defrost using heat from the unit and a small amount of heat from primary flow and returns

So removing heat from the house....

Designed properly shouldn't take heat from house, most good units designed correctly should work around cop 3 annually on average as minimum, rhi tariff wil come with ashp but it will be metered, how don't know

Designed properly shouldn't take heat from house, most good units designed correctly should work around cop 3 annually on average as minimum, rhi tariff wil come with ashp but it will be metered, how don't know

A defrosting heat pump has no option other than to take heat from the house unless it has an electric defrost system, which is worse..

Last I heard about off grid tariffs would be based on the amount of carbon dioxide that the property would not be producing when comparing the new heating system to burning fossil fuels....

The RHI & FIT for ASHPs???!! Are you having a laff??!! All the Greenwash product Grants are being cut/slashed....etc etc.
This country can't afford Grants of that nature, it's all smoke & mirrors!!
A COP of 3???!!..............Never laughed so much since the wife died!!!

The reality is; we who work in the heating trade know that a ASHP will not heat an average British home in the coldest of Winter days. The Greenwash salesmen state COP figures based on >8C outdoor temperatures & size heatpumps on the average Winters day. Where as we have always based our heatloss calcs on an outdoor temperature of of -1C - -3C.

The only ASHP systems that have proven good results are well insulated homes, most with UFH, that are properly installed. Now these homes could be heated with a candle anyway, so where's the 'yard stick'??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back