Which ASHP brand to go with...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to retro-fit an air to water ASHP for all of our heating and hot water needs. We live in an 1895 cottage 90m2.

We'll be using oversized radiators on 15mm pipework, ideally without a buffer tank due to internal space issues.

All I would like is some advice on brands of ASHP. They all seems to have different COP's but I'm not sure whether they are all tested in the same conditions, and also how relevant these are anyways.

These are the units we have been quoted for...

1. DanFoss AQ 9kw

2. Daikin Altherma High temperature 11kw

3. Mitsubishi Ecodan 8.5kw

This isn't a thread to talk about if it's the right option or not - been there done that and appreciate all the help people on here have given.

Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
I'll wait and see what the guys over on RE come up with. ;)

None of the above.

Aq is rubbish
Altherma high temp is limited by the first stage low temp
Eco BANG

4.Sanyo co2 Eco
5.Nebe.

Sponsored Links
None of the above.

Aq is rubbish
Eco BANG

4.Sanyo co2 Eco
5.Nebe.

Nibes have more bugs in their controllers, than a Tramp's vest!!

Removed an Altherma a few weeks ago, the guy had one Winter with it & wanted rid, it was costing a fortune to run!!!

Aq is rubbish

I'm looking into the Sanyo C02 eco - thanks. I've been told it's not as efficient as the DanFoss AQ but I've heard from a few sources now that the sanyo is a good model.

Can you explain further how and why you class the AQ as 'rubbish'? What are you basing it on?

Removed an Altherma a few weeks ago

What did you do with it Delta. Install it in another gaffe? South of the border perhaps.

Seriously though where is it.... On E bay or off to China as scrap?

We installed one of these recently, about 9kW I think it was;

http://www.sdeec.fr/sdeec-V2-english/heat-pumps-rm-55-sdeec-french-manufacturer-of-heat-pumps.html

I'm sure there must be a UK distributor somewhere.

It's a military company that supplies massive heat pumps to the army, schools, etc.

Their residential models are attractive because, a) the COP is pretty high (4), b) they are very simple, no inverter, c) fully stainless steel, so good for difficult climates, coastal etc.

Went in in early spring so cannot pass judgement on it fully yet, but so far so good.

Installed in Finistere, Brittany v.close to the ocean, so winter temps almost never go below zero, a bit like Cornwall, but 1 or 2' warmer.

I would hesitate to install an ASHP if min temps went much below -5'C.

We installed one of these recently, about 9kW I think it was;

http://www.sdeec.fr/sdeec-V2-english/heat-pumps-rm-55-sdeec-french-manufacturer-of-heat-pumps.html

I'm sure there must be a UK distributor somewhere.

It's a military company that supplies massive heat pumps to the army, schools, etc.

Their residential models are attractive because, a) the COP is pretty high (4), b) they are very simple, no inverter, c) fully stainless steel, so good for difficult climates, coastal etc.

Went in in early spring so cannot pass judgement on it fully yet, but so far so good.

Installed in Finistere, Brittany v.close to the ocean, so winter temps almost never go below zero, a bit like Cornwall, but 1 or 2' warmer.

I would hesitate to install an ASHP if min temps went much below -5'C.

Thanks for the link mate, I'll keep that for my French Connection.
It's amazing how many of our friends are moving to France & Spain. Is this country just so cr.p???!!

Thanks for all your help so far.

1. Does anyone care to elaborate on why the DanFoss AQ is not a good option? It seems the most efficient on paper.

2. Also should I consider larger than 15mm cooper for my oversized rads? I'm replacing all the microbore. Someone over on RE suggested 28mm minimum...seems a bit extreme. I assume the downside with 28mm is it's unsightly and more expensive?

OK, yes that makes me not want a DanFoss!...although it's more the installer than the product i think.

Ok next...

Can this comment be elaborated on?

Thing to remember is we are on LPG...which is very expensive, even when we barely ever turn the heating on. Plus our standard of life is poor because the house is so cold all the time! it's still cost £900 this year..barely even running it.

The Altherma HT seems like a good option as I'm told it will work with microbore and, although the efficiency drops, it can go high temp for the coldest days. Also one of the more suited ASHP for rad systems.

Thoughts?

Why don't you fit yourself a nice oil boiler?
I'm taking a delivery today. 1800L@ £0.58p/l.
Cheap as dirt and trouble free heating.

With the savings you make spend it on home insulation.

Ha ha, there is nothing nice about an oil boiler... Unless your favorite aftershave is Eau de Dieseltruck... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back