Which Authority........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
.....or oganisation covers removing a chimney
a friend and I are considering removing ours and wish to know who to contact regarding guidance, insurance, permission etc
Thank you
Roger

Sponsored Links
You may require planning permission and/or building regulation approval.

Speak to your local planning authority in the first instance.

You need planning permission to erect a chimney, but you do not need planning permission to remove one. Even in a conservation area. It's a myth.

As for building regs - not my area of expertise. However, I understand that you need only to comply with the Building Regs, not necessarily have formal building regulations approval. As my employers' website states:

A Full Plans application may be submitted for any building work, but must be submitted for buildings to which the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (commonly known as the 'RRO') will apply. The RRO applies to all buildings apart from single family dwellings and the interior of individual flats.

Chimney removal is a structural alteration to the building and thus building regs should be involved. ..

Sponsored Links
you do not need planning permission to remove one. Even in a conservation area. It's a myth.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonfluechimney

Under new regulations that came into effect from 1 October 2008, fitting, altering or replacing an external flue, chimney, or soil and vent pipe is normally considered to be permitted development, not requiring planning consent, if the conditions outlined below are met:

• Flues are allowed if less than one metre above the highest part of the roof.
• If the building is listed or in a designated area even if you enjoy permitted development rights it is advisable to check with your local planning authority before a flue is fitted.
• In a designated area the flue should not be fitted on the principal or side elevation that fronts a highway.

By reading that, the removal of the chimney may come under PD, if they exist. Or am I reading that wrong?

And on a side note... if a chimney is removed but is then to be reinstated at a later date, then planning permission may be required.

You will require Building regulations approval or a building notice as it is a structural alteration, and you will need to prove you have done this if you sell the house.

If you are removing it at GF level only you will require sketches, beam design and full building regs application, but if you are removing it full height i am sure the local authority building inspector can approve it under a Building notice and you probably won't need any calculations.

You can do it all under a Building Notice. It doesn't "have to" be on a Full Plans application. The BCO's can still ask to see calculations on a Building Notice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back