Regs regarding Chimney removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Do I need Planning Permission and Build'g Regs approval to remove my complete chimney. From ground floor, thru' the 1st floor and thru' the loft and roof ? Thank You
Roger

Sponsored Links
I think not unless it's on the front elevation or you are in a conservation area.

You may need to get a structural engineer to check out that the chimney breast is not a structural element of the wall/house and removing it may weaken or de-stabilise the walls.

I've no idea about building regulations, but I can tell you categorically that you don't need planning permission to demolish a chimney. However, having demolished it, you would need planning permission to rebuild it, assuming the chimney stack would project beyond the plane of the roof.

The conservation area issue is a red herring. Some people will tell you that conservation area consent is required instead. And they'd be wrong. Conservation area consent is only required in the case of substantial demolition, and the demolition of a chimney is not considered to be substantial. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Sponsored Links
I just had to get full conservation area PP to demolish my single detached garage which is a 1960's concrete block sh*t house of no architectural merit at all because it is about 3 metres within the conservation area!

So I would ask the planning department if I were you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back