Removing a chimney breast with no chimney above

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am looking at removing the chimney breast located on an outside wall of an upstairs maisonette. The roof has been replaced approx 10 years ago and it seems the chimney was removed at that time. There is no breast remaining in the loft either, above the breast I want to remove.

Will I still need to get building regs approval even though the breast I want to remove is supporting nothing above itself?

Many thanks :D

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to ask your Building Control officer anyway.

Personally I would think it would be unnecessary, however, there may be a situation where the chimney breast still contributes to the structural integrity of the attached wall in a way that makes it's removal undesirable, without some other work being carried out.

Most if not nearlly all chimney's act as lateral subility for a house so thought needs to be taken with any removal that your building is still stable..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back