Removal of chimney breast do I need an RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
F2DF0606-4FD0-4F07-88AD-F22CAC67D8B1.jpeg
44C4F26E-D1D0-4E23-8144-D1099FA557D2.jpeg
CAFC6EF6-84E2-4B9B-B5FA-99CD3663E154.jpeg
DB5FB3CF-5FF1-4284-8DA5-53156F44BF16.jpeg
Hi everyone when removing a chimney breast how would a person know if a RSJ is needed? I’m looking to remove the chimney breast from my front living room, the back living room has already had the chimney breast removed first and ground floor and gallows brackets in the loft, would it be
the same for the other chimney breast? Do I need to get a structural engineer to have a look? They are expensive? Any help would be great thank you

Sponsored Links
The word is that gallows brackets aren't always suitable, the rules have been tightened over the years so you may not be allowed to use them on this chimeny, even if the other one was previously signed off that way in the past.

As far as I know it isn't an absolute requirement to get engineering calcs before Building Control will sign off on it, so you could contact them and discuss it. They'll probably insist on a site visit anyway. I'd plan with the expectation of needing an engineer.

I have an irrational and pathological hatred of Chimneys, have you considered taking the entire stack out?

I work in B control I've not encountered any problems with gallows brackets.
If installing steel I've rarely requested calcs if an over engineered approach is used.
To preempt the comments that will inevitably be left saying its not done like that elsewhere, this is the approach adopted by all the authorities I've worked, but I can't speak for everywhere so you still need to check with your building control body.

Leave it in - it looks a bloody beautiful feature! I’d love a chimney like that in my house. :(

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
All chimneys must die! :mad:
I can still remember the first time I saw a house without a chimney stack. 1960s, we were visiting grandparents who lived near Silverstone, our father wanted a look at Milton Keynes New Town on the way and there were these weird chimneyless houses. Think it was a terrace, the long roofline with no projections looked wrong.

I never understood the need to gain 200mm and wreck the house in the process.
Especially after seeing a bodger diyer crack the entire support wall to remove the chimney.
Be careful that the chimney is not an integral part of the house structure.

I can still remember the first time I saw a house without a chimney stack. 1960s, we were visiting grandparents who lived near Silverstone, our father wanted a look at Milton Keynes New Town on the way and there were these weird chimneyless houses. Think it was a terrace, the long roofline with no projections looked wrong.
You're not alone with that thought - hundreds of new builds now have fake chimneys

Plastic pots - as in GRP. and brick slips stuck on to match the house

You're not alone with that thought - hundreds of new builds now have fake chimneys
We moved house in 1990 and we 'thought' our 1960’s house had a chimney. After exchange of contracts we checked on the estate agent sheet. (No internet in those days, all paper - dozens everyday popping through our letterbox - remember them?) and phew, it was there in the pictures and there were also chimney pots present too. When we moved in and were about to connect up our living flame fire, no chimney breast! Just an ornate plaster fireplace on a flat wall. The chimney was for the central heating boiler located in the kitchen. I made my own fake fireplace to give the room focal point. Nothing worse than a room without a feature in my opinion. I wish it was real though. :(

64CD7581-03F9-4B94-A73A-EC908EFAAFE4.jpeg

We moved house in 1990 and we 'thought' our 1960’s house had a chimney. After exchange of contracts we checked on the estate agent sheet. (No internet in those days, all paper - dozens everyday popping through our letterbox - remember them?) and phew, it was there in the pictures and there were also chimney pots present too. When we moved in and were about to connect up our living flame fire, no chimney breast! Just an ornate plaster fireplace on a flat wall. The chimney was for the central heating boiler located in the kitchen. I made my own fake fireplace to give the room focal point. Nothing worse than a room without a feature in my opinion. I wish it was real though. :(

View attachment 200918
Did dog and duck come with the house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back