building control - chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, i'm looking to remove my chimney and chimney breast.

ive spoken to the local planning about the chimney removal but they couldn't help me about the chimney breast as its internal

question is do i need to get building regs to agree to me removing the chimney breast or can i go ahead and do it?

Thanks, Matt

Sponsored Links
If it involves structural alterations, then yes... a Building Regulation application would be required. From your post, it sounds like BR's would be required.

hi. any work to the chimney breast of your house has to be covered under a building notice. something as basic as making the opening bigger to fit a wood burner or the like. remember, if you are taking the job on, the weight of the stack has to be supported, in the loft on hangers. if it is possible, the whole stack is better removed and the roof made good.

any work to the chimney breast of your house has to be covered under a building notice. something as basic as making the opening bigger to fit a wood burner or the like.
Building work on the constructional hearth, opening up the existing fire opening, flue liner, fire installation, testing & notices can be undertaken by a HETAS registered installer. You only need a building notice for structural work such as removing/replacing lintels etc or if it’s a DIY install.

In this case structural work is involved in removing the stack so a BN will be required.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies!

How does a building control officer define 'structural work'? I can understand needing approval for even minor chimney breast alterations (enlarging for wood burner etc) due to what that breast is supporting and the potential weaknesses that may result.

However in this case the breast is supporting nothing that I can see. Is there something I'm missing or not taking into account?

I would ask my local BCO however he always seems very very reluctant to discuss such matters, which is unusual as they are normally extremely helpful.

I've got so many tabs open I somehow thought those messages were replies to a post a made earlier.

I thought those replies came a little too fast!
:oops:

In my opinion... It's structural work if it affects the structure of the building. If to remove the chimney full height would require alternative support to be provided to another element, e.g. to stabilise a wall or support a floor, then a b/regs application would be required. If it has no impact on the structure then it would not require an application - it's no different to removing a non load-bearing wall. The repair to the resulting holes in floors and roofs is relatively minor and it would be petty to class this as building work.

It's not normal for a chimney breast to provide support to the floor/s. Usually the thicker joists go either side to the main brick wall, and a beam spans across the front of the hearth.
I'm with tkmax, in that it only requires the holes in the roof, floor & ceilings to be made good, and the brickwork to be patched.

silverandfire - you can delete your messages you know :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back