Is chimney removal allowed as part of Permitted Development

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are planning to do hip-to-gable loft conversion.
We have our chimney attached to the party wall but there is no chimney on the neighbour's side of the party wall (he has stairs on the other side of the party wall).

We want to go ahead and remove the chimney stack above the roof and in the loft and 1st floor bedroom.

I know I will need party wall agreement with the neighbour which I believe he is fine with.

My question is whether removal of the chimney will pass as permitted development or I need to apply for planning permission.
There are no special restrictions to PD where I live.

Is it ok to go ahead and apply for PD after the build or it's better to apply now and wait for the result?

Thanks
Tom

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If there are no PD restrictions, listed building etc. removal of a chimney stack can be done under permitted development. You mention 'apply for PD', I assume you mean applying for a certificate of lawfulness. If so, just add it to the application. You are best applying before the work, just in case.

Yes I meant certificate of lawfulness. I was planning to apply before but it takes them 8 weeks to respond or more and we want to start sooner.
All the PD doc mention that one must not alter or install new install new chimney so I guess removal is OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back