Which boiler is best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been getting quotes for a replacement boiler to replace our aging Potterton Suprima which is now kettling badly and occasionally locking out despite a new PCB 9 months ago (before we owner the house).

Current setup is a heat only boiler, unvented HW and open vented central heating.
I've had 3 quotes and would welcome opinions. Cost isn't really an issue as the quotes are fairly similar to each other.

The quotes are:

1) Leave the CH system as open vented. Supply and fit Vailliant eco fit pure 415 heat only boiler, magnaclean and nest v3 thermostat. Chemical flush, system treatment etc. 7 year warranty. £1850.

2) As for quote 1 but sealing and pressuring the CH system and fitting an expansion vessel etc in the airing cupboard. (Outside wall available for pressure relief valve). £2000

3) As for quote 2 but fitting a Baxi 424 heat only boiler. Still 7 year warranty and still with Nest thermostat. £2010.

I would welcome opinions as to what I am going best for? Basically, is sealed better than unvented? or vice versa? And is Baxi better than Vailliant? or vice versa?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks

CD.

Sponsored Links
Had same boiler swapped for a vailant ecotec plus 418 and had the CH sealed. Also included a magnaclean, expansion vessel and power flush cost just under £1600. Every quote I had recommended sealing the CH for better efficiency.

I'll say it this time... Intergas :sneaky:
I asked an intergas accredited installer to quote. He said the intergas heat only unit was rather big for a kitchen cupboard fit and quoted for the Baxi.

Apparently intergas are very good for Combis.

Sponsored Links
Had same boiler swapped for a vailant ecotec plus 418 and had the CH sealed. Also included a magnaclean, expansion vessel and power flush cost just under £1600. Every quote I had recommended sealing the CH for better efficiency.
How long ago was this? And did you have a nest or similar fitted?

Can I ask where in the country you are?

20 miles north of London.

The quotes I received

£3300 British gas
£2700 Worcester Bosch accredited engineer
£1900 local plumber
£1600 local plumber

I know there will be people reading this saying I wasted all them people's time for getting quotes from the worst to best I saved £1700 so :D

I will be honest with you tho while I did get a good price and eventually everything was sorted it took the engineer 2 whole days plus 3 more seperate visits for other adjustments. The job should have been completed in 1 as per his original time scale quote. His loss I guess as I worked out his labour when you deducted costs like the boiler itself he earned around £300 for 5 visits to my house when he should of earned that for just 1. :confused:

you won't be disappointed with the baxi heat only (y) ,
I was erring towards the Vailliant because the Baxi has no display for faults etc, and no pump overrun which may be fine when all is new and shiny but it's long term performance would worry me.

I've fitted a few Baxi's nice compact boilers rear flue ideal to fit in a kitchen cupboard can't comment on the Vailliant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back