Which carpet to go for (when we've got a moth problem)?

D

dasfasfads

Hello all,

This feels like my first post on here (maybe the counter over there <<< disagrees!).

We are just about to rent out our flat in Bristol and the letting agents have recommended that we get some painting and jobs around the house done. Some are critical like securing the back door and putting in a bannister on the stairs.

Then come the carpets. The two areas that are carpeted definitely need to be done: the stairs and the downstairs hall. We've had a quote and this states the following:

1. To uplift existing twist carpet and dispose. To supply and fit Apollo/Gala with softwalk underlay. £440 + VAT.

2. To uplift existing twist carpet and dispose. To supply and fit 80/20 wool carpet at £19sqm from stock with softwalk underlay. £545 + VAT.

We will uplift the existing carpets and they can then install the underlay and new carpet.

- The house has had a big problem with moths so we are hesitant about having a wool carpet. Are 80/20 wool carpets still a nightmare for moths (particularly in the corners)?
- Is there anything that can do between removing the old carpets and having the new ones fitted that can help reduce the moth problem?
- Are Apollo and Gala carpets just the same sort of thing?
- Are Apollo and Gala carpets cheap and likely to deteriorate quickly/get marked/look crap and cheap?

Thanks all for your thoughts,
Charlie

Sponsored Links
I think I may have just answered my own question with this set of details on an Apollo carpet by Cormar Carpets:

"Heavy Domestic - Good for all rooms in the home. Better value than wool carpets but wool carpets tend to retain their appearance for longer. Stain resistant. 100% Excellon (Polypropylene)."

Just go for the cheaper polypropylene carpet and accept it will look cheap but at least it will greatly reduce the likelihood of moth problems: is that my question answered? Is there anything else that can be done moth-wise before installing new carpets?

It won't necessarily look cheap; just not deluxe. I suspect that giving the moths nothing to feed on for a few years will be a good way to discourage them!

Sponsored Links
If you have moth, go for the manmade fibre, if you want something to really last between tennancies, look at Mohawk Freedom, absolutely bullet proof, but much bigger budget than the figures mentioned so far. For rented, and with the moth issue, avoid the wool rich ranges.

You can hoover all the skirtings etc, and you should do, but if you fit wool rich, the issue will come back at some stage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back