Landing/Stairs Carpet help needed please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Hope someone can give me some advice here - I'll try to keep this simple as poss but apologies if I overcomplicate this!

We are wanting some striped carpet laying on our landing and stairs and have seen some Candy Striped Wool Twist in our local carpet shop at a reasonable £13 psqm.

Now, we got them out to measure up and quote and it came back at £330. This seemed a bit expensive to me but they say that they are only charging for what is being used (effectively 3m wide), not for the whole width of the roll. I've also worked out that if they are charging us £50 for "cheap underlay" for stairs only, that they are charging £50 for fitting.

Now, we live in a 3 storey house so I got to thinking that it might be cheaper to buy enough to do both landings/stairs in one go as the 4m Roll width is wide enough to do both.

However they have come back and said it will be another £295 on top to do the top landing and I just cant work out why or how!?

So, my question is this:

The main landing is 5.5m long and 2m wide.

the top floor is 4.4m long and 1.9m wide.

The are 13 stairs on each case and they are 45cm per step (rise and tread). Allowing 50cm for luck this makes the stairs 6.5m long.

With the top part of the landing being 1.75m, the total longest run of carpet needed is 7.25m.

If we get a 7.25m length of carpet by the 4m width, roughly cutting the carpet down the middle leaves us with 2 rectangular pieces of carpet which are long enough and wide enough to do each landing/stairs.

So 7.5 x 4 is 30m2 of carpet at 13 = £390.....plus whatever for fitting.

Surely at £625 this is too expensive?!

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

I apologise for rambling on but I hope I managed to get the situation across OK!

Thanks again,

Phill

Sponsored Links
Logic doesn't really come into it. They've offered you a price and it's up to you whether or not you accept it.

Personally, I would have said that laying all those stair and landing carpets it was a fair price. If you've ever tried it you'll know what I mean.

Did you add the underlay in your final calc?

Logic doesn't really come into it. They've offered you a price and it's up to you whether or not you accept it.

Personally, I would have said that laying all those stair and landing carpets it was a fair price. If you've ever tried it you'll know what I mean.

Did you add the underlay in your final calc?

I'm not saying its not a skilled job and I'm not for one minute suggesting I could do it myself.

What I'm saying is the numbers dont add up! I don't need underaly at all to be honest the whole area is already carpeted and has underlay and gripper rods - the suggestion was made to replace it on the stairs to make it harder wearing.

My question really is - can I do what I am asking above in terms of carpetting that area out of the 4m roll and a 7.5m length because the carpet shop clearly aren't calculating it that way?

cheers

Sponsored Links
so your price includes new underlay to stairs and fitting?

Adverage price for underlay is about 7 quid a meter.

fitting of that will cost 200 ish quid.

If your not happy with the price get another quote.

O and 13 quid a meter is very cheap for stair carpet. Dont expect it to last very long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back