Stripy Carpet Fitting on stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Carpet on landing hallway and stairs.

Stripes for Stairs and plain everywhere else.

The job was almost finished and half of stairs was left when the fitters inform me that the stripes on stairs are not going to match. I said this will look ridiculous and I need it be in line so it gives one straight lines look. They kept saying that it is the way manufactures make carpets so they can sell more and for it to be in line I will have to buy more carpet.

They called the shop who said it will be another £110 for last 8 feet or so of stairs. After much arguing we settled on £70.

I still think that the carpet fitter who came twice to do measurements etc. should have realised this or that he cut the carpet incorrectly and tried to fleece me of extra £70.

They also said that the salesman is doing me a favour by reducing the price of extra carpet to £70 and that the owner must not know about it otherwise he will want more money. I haven’t paid the extra money yet and I am very tempted to turn up when the owner is in and tell him of this unless they are all in cohorts.

The guys also took a significant amount of extra carpet with them saying it is not mine to keep but left all the tiny bits of rubbish for me to clean. That extra carpet was enough for a small room.

I know it is not a lot of money to lose sleep over but I don’t want to be fleeced as a matter of principle.

What do you guys think? Shall I pay up to the shop guy or turn up when the so called owner is in. Also did the fitters rob me of extra carpet? Fitters were sub contracted by the shop by the way and were paid separately in cash by me.

Sponsored Links
I think it's a cheek on the shop's part. Is the job finished? If the facts are as you say they are, I'd be tempted to do nothing; neither pay any more nor contact them.

Cheers
Richard

yes job is finished. I have had the guy from shop calling me asking for money. It is very local to me and I think I will just pay up on my way back and put it down to experience.

It is extremely hard to find people who don't to do just the bare minimum.

I had these guys over twice and they really should have double checked the measurements.

"don't tell the manager I gave you this discount", and " that extra carpet you paid for isnt yours to keep".

I'd certainly be paying a visit to the shop, but not to pay them.........

Sponsored Links
Don't be a doormat mate, they are taking liberties with you. They are definitely in cahoots and that "excess carpet" that you have paid for, will be back in the shop in the offcut / roll end section.

Tell them that if the carpet isn't yours to keep, then measuring, supply and fitting is the shop's responsiblity and you expect it covered by the price you AGREED.

when they plan the carpet out they should allow for the pattern match. That is bare basics. If you was on a budget they should put in writing that you dont want the carpet to match on the stairs as you are on concerned with getting carpet on the stairs and not for matches.

As for the spare bit they took back. It might be there's but i dought it. Normally a shop will charge by how much carpet is needed to pattern match etc. The carpets come in all different widths but as a standard 4m wide is the standard. Some shops will allow a discount for the waste on the agreement that they will sell it on .

By teh sounds you are getting mugged, leaving rubbish is poor. If my lads didnt vacuum up they would be in trouble. In-fact Carpet right tell all fitters they HAVE TO vacuum up and they tend to get knocked all the time so if a local shop is not even offering this service its a disgrace.

Any pictures?

just to add to the above, why dont you ask your question on a forum used by proffestional carpet fitters / retailers. They should give you a idea of what quality you should expect and decide for yourself if you are being mugged. www.theflooringforum.com

when they plan the carpet out they should allow for the pattern match. That is bare basics. If you was on a budget they should put in writing that you dont want the carpet to match on the stairs as you are on concerned with getting carpet on the stairs and not for matches.
Thanks and see pictures, you will see the red linings matching, imagine them few inches out half way through.

The guys actually said that I should have put it down in writing that I wanted the pattern matching. I am surprised that anyone would want it other way.

I went to see the guy this evening but he was not there but his brother was who couldn't answer any of my questions and advised me to speak with manager, the first guy who took measurements. So I will see him tomorrow or Saturday.

I couldn't close the bathroom door and after breaking a tile trying to hammer the door strip in I realised that they were so lazy that they left the door strip a few mm too long and just hammered it in leaving a very small bulge stopping the door to close.

I will try that forum and also see manager guy and let you guys know how it goes.

I wanted it all done and them guys out so I did say that fine I will pay you £70 so if they argue too much I will pay up but I want it coming from the main man Dave not the salesman Dave unless they are all the same taking turns to play owner and salesman.

I wanted it all done and them guys out so I did say that fine I will pay you £70 so if they argue too much I will pay up but I want it coming from the main man Dave not the salesman Dave unless they are all the same taking turns to play owner and salesman.

Yeah but they also agreed to sell you the complete carpet ie matching, at the price you paid in the first place. Doesn't matter what you said to get the guys out your house, don't cave in and let yourself be ripped off, as they are probably thinking the same... if he wont back down we'll try and rip off some other mug.

Yeah but they also agreed to sell you the complete carpet ie matching, at the price you paid in the first place. Doesn't matter what you said to get the guys out your house, don't cave in and let yourself be ripped off, as they are probably thinking the same... if he wont back down we'll try and rip off some other mug.

Cajar, you post has given me confidence. I am not so good with face to face confrontations but I will stand my ground.

Where did you get your carpet? Shocking that. They should know you would want the pattern match.

As a retailer, I would expect that at the time the estimate was put together, the person had to know that the carpet was a stripe, and planned the amount of carpet required accordingly. If the job was always for a stripe on the stairs, it's the shops responsibility to quote and order correctly.

If the shop knew it was a stripe, quoted for a stripe, supplied the carpet, and did'nt allow enough carpet (planned it for a plain carpet) then they have to resolve the issue at their expense, OR come to an amicable agreement with yourself if you are happy to contribute towards their mistake, how far you push this point is up to you.

With regards the extra carpet, they may have discounted the carpet to the point that they have charged you just for the amount required to complete the job, and will probably be hoping that they can recoup some of the 'loss' by selling the waste as a remnant, it is likely that as you only needed a small piece to finish, then quite alot of carpet needed to be ordered, so if they charged you for the small piece,I would say they are entitled to keep the rest that you have not paid for and try and recoup some loss/break even.

Regarding the door bar, that's just sloppy, but they did'nt break the tile, unfortunately you did (unknowingly admittedly) but ultimately they are not directly responsible for the damage to the tile, they should be cutting the bar to the right size and re-fitting though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back