Carpeting stairs and landing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

I'm currently looking at having my stairs and landing carpeted in the near future. The old carpet has been removed and the underlay and carpet grippers are still in place. I intend on leaving these in place.

I've measured the rise and fall of one of my steps and this comes to 17 inches. I've got 12 steps so this amounts to 204 inches. There is also a 44 inch area at the top of the stairs so the total length would need to be 249 inches plus some extra to allow for cutting etc.

The landing length is obviously much shorter than the stairs. The longest portion of the landing is 96 inches and I am trying to cut down on the amount of carpet I need to purchase.

I've heard that it's not generally recommended to carpet the stairs in one long, continuous piece. If this is true, I wouldn't want to buy a carpet that is too long as there will be a lot of wasteage when it comes to the landing as this length is less than half of the stairs.

Would it be possible for me to buy a carpet that is shorter than the total length of my stairs (which is over 20ft) and then use the wasteage from the landing piece (which is only 8ft) to carpet the remainder of the stairs?

As it happens, if I were to purchase a carpet 20ft in length, this would be ideal for the carpet but I would have around 12ft of 'waste' after the landing was covered.

Has anyone else done this and could anyone give me their views on this? I only have one chance of getting this right and on the flipside, I don't want to waste money by purchasing a length that will incur a lot of leftovers afterwards.

Thanks in advance,

D

Sponsored Links
As above. I had my hall,stairs and landing done this year and the pieces came pre-cut and had all been cut from a 5m X 4m carpet piece to give the most economical fitting. I think it was 7 or so pieces in total and can't tell where one finishes and the next starts. :)

Sponsored Links
The stairs can be done in as many pieces as you like. That being steps of 3, 1 , 5 what ever.

This is true and its a good way to reduce wastage. If you are getting a professional to fit the carpet ask them if they can come and measure up for you. If they charge you for this service it will usually be taken off the cost for fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back