Stripy Carpet Fitting on stairs

As a retailer, I would expect that at the time the estimate was put together, the person had to know that the carpet was a stripe, and planned the amount of carpet required accordingly. If the job was always for a stripe on the stairs, it's the shops responsibility to quote and order correctly.

If the shop knew it was a stripe, quoted for a stripe, supplied the carpet, and did'nt allow enough carpet (planned it for a plain carpet) then they have to resolve the issue at their expense, OR come to an amicable agreement with yourself if you are happy to contribute towards their mistake, how far you push this point is up to you.

With regards the extra carpet, they may have discounted the carpet to the point that they have charged you just for the amount required to complete the job, and will probably be hoping that they can recoup some of the 'loss' by selling the waste as a remnant, it is likely that as you only needed a small piece to finish, then quite alot of carpet needed to be ordered, so if they charged you for the small piece,I would say they are entitled to keep the rest that you have not paid for and try and recoup some loss/break even.

Regarding the door bar, that's just sloppy, but they did'nt break the tile, unfortunately you did (unknowingly admittedly) but ultimately they are not directly responsible for the damage to the tile, they should be cutting the bar to the right size and re-fitting though.
Valid points. If they are not charging me for the extra carpet they can keep it but the way they have handled the whole thing has upset me so I want to hear this from the same guy who first came to do the measurements and gave us the first quote. Supposedly he is the owner and I was warned not to let him know or he may want me to pay more than £70. I sincerely hope that's not the case.
Can't blame them for tiles and sadly I realised that it is bar length too late. I have left it out and I will be sorting it myself, simply can't have the cow boys around my house again. Just glad it wasn't the whole house.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like it's the retailers mistake, or the salesman is trying to cover his own back, either way, if they estimated for stripe carpet and didn't allow enough, you shouldn't need to pay a penny more than the estimate, their mistake, their loss.

I visited the shop and met manager Dave, seem like a nice but overly stressed fella. I explained my complaints and he said he will look in to it and asked if I am happy to split the difference. So paid him £35 and called it a day.

Thanks for the advice folks.

I visited the shop and met manager Dave, seem like a nice but overly stressed fella. I explained my complaints and he said he will look in to it and asked if I am happy to split the difference. So paid him £35 and called it a day.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Glad you got it sorted, November and December are massively stressful with everyone wanting pre-Xmas fitting etc

Sponsored Links
Good for you mate, better than the £100 they were demanding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back