Which Drivers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm reinstalling XP PRO on a HP DX2300, with the following spec

HP Compaq dx2300 Microtower Business PC
Intel 946GZ Express Chipset
Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 Processor (2.00 GHz, 2-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)
Intel I/O Controller Hub 7 (ICH7)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000
Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection
2-GB DDR2 Synch DRAM PC2-5300 (667-MHz) Non-ECC (2 x 1-GB)
SATA DVD+/-RW (DL/DF) LightScribe Drive
160-GB Serial ATA 3.0-Gb/s Hard Drive (7200 rpm)
PCI Express I/O bus
Serial ATA controller
Audio output/input
Realtek ALC888 High Definition audio codec 5.1 channel

I've found all the original CDs to install the OS but I can't find the drivers CD. On the HP site at

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...2967&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1093#11395

they have a list of drivers but I'm not sure which ones I need? Or does XP automatically include all the drivers I need.

Sponsored Links
Intel 946GZ Express Chipset Use Intel Chipset Support for Microisoft Windows
Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 Processor (2.00 GHz, 2-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)
Intel I/O Controller Hub 7 (ICH7)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 USE Intel Graphics Driver
Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection USE Intel NIC Drivers
2-GB DDR2 Synch DRAM PC2-5300 (667-MHz) Non-ECC (2 x 1-GB)
SATA DVD+/-RW (DL/DF) LightScribe Drive
160-GB Serial ATA 3.0-Gb/s Hard Drive (7200 rpm)
PCI Express I/O bus
Serial ATA controller
Audio output/input
Realtek ALC888 High Definition audio codec 5.1 channel Use the Realtek HD Audio Driver, but note that Windows XP SP3 needs to be installed first (if it is not already part of the installation CD)

All these drivers are available on HP's website, from the link you posted. Thing like the PCI Express Bus and the SATA controller rarely need their own drivers, or are part of the Chipset drivers.

HTH

Thanks for that. Good thing you reminded me, when I checked the XP Pro installation disc I have is SP2!

I’m going to do the update in the following order:

1. Install XP (SP2) from CD
2. Start Windows, after a normal login download SP3 to the hard drive from MS Download centre (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389) and install
3. Download drivers from HP site to the hard drive and install

Is it OK to download and install from the hard drive or do I need to burn the drivers to a CD first?

Sponsored Links
If I remember correctly the Intel Pro 100 VE network driver will need to be downloaded and installed. There is no native XP driver Thus, download it, and if possible, all the others in advance and put on a USB stick. Same with Windows SP3. And most important, install anti-virus before connecting to the internet!

No, the DX2400 drivers are NOT the correct ones! Your machine does not have a gigabit LAN, the 2400 does. At the moment, I am having probs accessing the Driver Downloads section of HP's website, so I looked at Intel's.

Try http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ct=Intel®+PRO/100+VE+Desktop+Adapter&lang=eng

This should be the correct driver for your network card. Once you have that installed and working, you will be able to access the internet to get the rest of the drivers, either from HP or from somewhere like driverguide.com

Thanks. I managed to get onto the HP site and had a read of the release notes for your original suggestion - Intel NIC Drivers. And that clearly says it supports "Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection". Sorry I got a bit confused, back to Plan A!

By the way, you mentioned ensuring XP SP3 is installed first. is this absolutely necessary or can I stick with SP2? The reason I ask is I've spent most of today, on and off, trying unsucessfully to download the XP SP3 update. So far I've tried Microsoft Download Centre, Softpedia, CNet to name a few. The file is about 316MB, a couple of times it stopped downloading after about 200MB but most of the time it downloaded the full file. Except when I double click it, it comes back with an "Invalid file" or other error message. I did a search in Google and theres a number of other similar messages. No solution though.

The only way round I can think of is to download the ISO image, burn a CD and take it from there, which I can't do right now.

You have the Realtek HD audio on your DX2300. Without Service Pack 3 (or extra add-ons for SP2) the audio device will not be correctly identified. The rest of the PC's bits and pieces will (should?) all be OK, though. Once Windows (with SP2) the LAN driver and anti-virus are all installed, Windows Update will (eventually) install SP3 along with another 108 or so updates, and then your audio device will be found and you will be prompted for the driver.

Sponsored Links
Back