Which knee pads do you use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I normally hang out on the sparky forum, but thought that you lot must be the experts on knee protection!

I need to get some new knee pads. I use ones that fit in my knee pad trousers. I have been using these Snickers ones

http://www.snickersdirect.co.uk/sni...knee-pads-9117-snickers-kneepads-p-76160.html

But they've got a bit 'thin'. I could just buy a new pair but wondered if there was anything better out there?

Has anyone tried these Redbacks ones?

http://www.industrialworkwear.com/c...ng-knee-pads?gclid=CMLzr6iLt60CFUJItAodBzEqnA

Comfort in working as well as knee protection is also important.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

SB (with sore knees)

Sponsored Links
I bought a pair of these rubberised foam things here in Slovakia, looked great, felt great in the shop..

Similar to these:
RA138RubberKneePads.gif

Bought them and took them home.. put them on standing, brilliant!

Kneel down, muscles in legs flex, and the strap digs in like crazy to the point you don't want to be ON your knees, let alone protect them!

Make the strap looser so they fit when you bend, then you stand up and they slide down your legs...

Maybe I should get chubbier legs..

So please, let me know what you discover :D

I've been wearing Dickies Redhawk trousers for work and using their knee pads in them since the ligaments in both my knees gave up the ghost nearly 5 years ago.

I really should have been wearing knee protection before then, maybe I wouldn't have suffered as much if I had.

My consultant told me he hates the strap on type knee pads. When the straps go tights around the back of the knee they tend to apply all sorts of nasty twisting and un-natural forces to all the delicate soft tissues in the knee joint. Not good, not good at all!

yes I think the 'strap ons' (fnar, fnar) are rubbish as they slide around all over the shop or dig in which is why I use the built in ones

Maybe I'll see if my fellow sparkies have any suggestions...

SB

Sponsored Links
yes I think the 'strap ons' (fnar, fnar) are rubbish as they slide around all over the shop or dig in which is why I use the built in ones

Maybe I'll see if my fellow sparkies have any suggestions...

SB

I am sure they will have. :D :D :D

I am a DIYer, and used those big knee pad things and the elastic does bite the back of your knees... firstly, i think the trousers with the inserted pads would probably be best, but if not, and you want to use knee pads, wear quite baggy trousers. That way they cushion the elastic a bit, plus if you have them looser, then the baggyness tends to stop them sliding down so much.

However, why i really posted is because i recently say a floor fitter and he didn't wear knee pands, he wore shin pads !!!! Quite long things, but when he knelt down, his whole shin rested on the pads. Plus, they had two broad elastic straps that fixed around the top and bottom of his calf...

Although he did say he got them from the US... so you may have to look around a bit, but just the job !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back