Which lintel for a new build garage with 16ft door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm in the process of planning a garage build and needed some advice before submitting for permission.

I'm going to apply for a 6m x 6m double garage on my property and would like to install a 16ft garage door. I think this would look better than having two separate doors with a brick pier in the centre.

The plan is to have a flat roof covered with boards and then either rubber or traditional felt, so not as much loading on the structure.

I'd greatly appreciate suggestions as to what lintel I should use beairng in mind this will need to be 17ft or 5.2m if i'm correct? (opening plus 150mm at either side)

At my last house that had a 14ft garage door it was a very large timber that was the lintel. I can't seem to find any such size timber that would do the job.

I've looked at catnic inverted T beams but these stop at 4.8m in length.

I'm leaning towards an rsj, but in my head this seems a little extreme given the loading that will be put on it (though i appreciate you have to account for wind/snow etc as well as the weight of sheet timber and felt)

I'm an enthusiastic DIY'er and like to have a grasp of anything that I do!

Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.

Lee

Sponsored Links
A steel beam seems sensible to me.

Get some holes drilled into the top flange so that you can bolt a timber plate to the top.

May be worth getting some drilled in the web to help facilitate fixing internal and external fascias etc.

I you really want to do your homework, look up the following
- beam deflection maths
- second moment of area
- moment of inertia
- young's modulus

With those under your belt, you can calculate the deflection of your steel under maximum loading.

Tis what I did for my low profile lintels and worked a treat... Plus it looks good it BCO ever asks for calcs :)

Fubar.

Sponsored Links
sounds lie a job for a steel ,ive just put one in over some patio doors that were about 5 m wide .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back