Which Plastic sheet is best - Bracket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which Plastic based material would you suggest is best to use.

I want make a bracket/mount for my SatNav on my dashboard rather than mount on the windscreen leaving marks.

Although there are many on the market/fleabay for mounting elsewhere such as Air Vents etc. but these are for horizontal blade types where mine are vertical blades.

I've made a template from cardboard of how I wish to mount it.

Which plastic sheet of approx 3mm thk 50mm wide would be best for cutting and bending into shape. I tried a piece I found but although I could form it with a little heat, it was brittle breaking/shattering while sawing.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Acrylic is a brittle plastic, but it bends well if heated enough, and retains it's shape. Polycarbonate or polyethylene does the same, polyethylene is more flexible in thin sections and is better for vacuum forming.
In your case I'd probably stick with acrylic, maybe use some slightly thicker stuff and be careful when sawing.....use a fine toothed saw.
A genuine item could well be formed from ABS plastic, but that's best for injection moulding.
John :)

There are hundreds of dashboard mounting holders available for all phones.DO not requires grilles or windscreen to fit.

There are hundreds of dashboard mounting holders available for all phones.DO not requires grilles or windscreen to fit.

Correct !
But none are suitable or adaptable.
Spent a week or so scrolling through on Goggle and fleabay etc.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back