which system boiler to go with new megaflo?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

i'm having our new flat done up at the moment and for the CH system i specified a 'megaflo & system boiler or equivalent to be approved' when the main contractor priced for the job.

they originally wanted to put in the ariston primo cylinder instead of the megaflo. i searched on here and of course found loads of differing opinions so i plumped for what i thought was the safer option and insisted on a megaflo.

the builder wants to couple a 210 megaflo cyclinder with an Ariston A30 system boiler. i think the size is fine, but any thoughts from people about how reliable these boilers are? i've never lived anywhere with a megaflo and have always have worcester or vaillant combis installed.

thanks for any help,
jj

Sponsored Links
I would recommend either a worcester, vailant, or alpha

Ariston boilers are quite noisy.

Advantage of worcester is readily available and relatively cheap

Alpha boilers if you get the £120 premiere pack on top will give you a 5 year guarantee and are very quiet.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys.

anyone else know if aristons are noisy? that could be a real clincher for me as the boiler & megaflo are going in a cupboard in one of the small bedrooms (nowhere else for it to go, but it is just a guest room.) i hope the megaflo itself isn't to noisy (i have a sinking feeling someone is going to tell me they are!)

the vagueness of my specification is probably going to come back to haunt me now. might have to pay the difference in price for a better boiler, but if it is worth it then i'll have to do it.

anymore thought greatly appreciated!

megaflow's aren't noisy, aristons in my experience are just not brilliant boilers. Just my experience!

its a 4 bed flat with 2 baths with showers & 1 wc (and kitchen.)

just found out that this model ariston has been discontinued. the contractor says it's fine as their heating merchant still has them, but i'm a bit suspicious as to why a fairly new model would be replaced after just a year or two.

he's saying now that the pipework has been put into place for that particular model boiler though and to get something else would require re-doing all of this...any thoughts on this?

How much are you paying for your boiler? Your the one who has to live with it for the rest of your time in that house, it's probably one he's had in his garage for a while. If you not sure you want it dont have it. You'll have more problems in 5 yers time than you'll get with a well known still produced boiler.

Is there something wrong with you?

You create a open specification, get everyone to bid on it. You accept a quote and THEN go on an internet forum for advice.

Now you want them to change the boiler you agreed on, and want them to change their pipework for nothing. Are you going to change your mind again?

I pity the contractor.

hang on there simond

asking for advice isn't such a bad thing - i know i made a mistake by having such an open specification for the boiler and as i said, if i want something changing that will entail extra work or a higher priced product, then that is something i would pay for

i pity the clients you have if that's your attitude

thanks for your help asha - i will speak to the contractor and see how much more it will be to use a worcester

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back